GU Hits 15 Percent From Deep In Loss

PITTSBURGH, Pa. – By the time the Georgetown Hoyas rolled into slate-gray Pittsburgh Monday afternoon, the snow drifts had already begun to pile up outside Petersen Events Center. At some point between the team bus and the arena entrance, the mid-January chill crept inside the Hoyas’ psyche and iced the nation’s fifth ranked team for the night. Pittsburgh took advantage of Georgetown’s frozen night from the field and sent the frost-bitten Hoyas packing with a 69-60 setback, their first conference loss of the season. Georgetown – who entered Monday night’s contest as the nation’s best-shooting team – shot a moribund 15 percent from beyond the three-point line, hitting only three of their 20 attempts from long range. The Panthers held sophomore forward DaJuan Summers scoreless, limited hot-shooting freshman guard Austin Freeman to eight points and stifled senior point guard and Georgetown’s all-time three-point leader Jonathan Wallace to only two treys. “You have to give their defense credit,” Georgetown Head Coach John Thompson III said. “They did a good job of defending the three-point line. We had guys miss that don’t usually miss. That happens.” Three different Panthers scored in double figures, including a season-high 18 from senior point guard Ronald Ramon, 15 from the phenomenal freshman center DeJuan Blair and an additional 18 from senior shooting guard Keith Benjamin. The Hoyas appeared shaken by a menacing steel town crowd. Perhaps out-of-sync following a quick two-day turnaround after Saturday’s 72-69 win over Connecticut, Summers, Freeman and Wallace never seemed to find their rhythm during the 40 minutes of play. The loss snapped a five-game winning streak for Georgetown and stretched the Panthers’ home winning streak to 13. onday night’s game marked the second-straight home victory for Pitt over Georgetown. Both teams misfired early – Pitt clanked all but 10 of their field goal attempts in the first-half – but maintained a controlling lead on the Hoyas throughout the first 20 minutes. One of Wallace’s two three-point attempts came on the final play of the second half, as the 6-foot-1 rainmaker chucked a desperation heave from just past half-court and through the net as time expired. Wallace’s last-gasp cut the Panthers’ lead to one, but Pitt emerged from the locker room in a second-half frenzy. The Panthers sank two straight three pointers, building an eight point lead before Thompson took a timeout to quell a roaring crowd. But the notorious Oakland Zoo – as the Pitt student section is known – continued to growl after junior forward Sam Young soared skyward for a one-handed slam and stretched the Panthers’ lead to 10. Georgetown clawed its way back, aided by an emphatic put-back slam by Patrick Ewing Jr., a pretty backdoor cut and conversion by Freeman, and another Ewing fast break layup that cut the lead to three. “I try and provide energy,” said Ewing, who finished with seven points and five rebounds. “Obviously, I didn’t do enough.” Georgetown’s shooting went sub-zero in the second half as the Hoyas hit only one of 11 attempts, but a season-high 10 points from sophomore center Vernon Macklin kept them in it. Georgetown had plenty of second-chances off offensive rebounds down the stretch, but simply could not convert. Pitt pulled off the upset without senior leader Mike Cook (torn ACL) and star point guard Levance Fields (broken foot). Before their injuries, Cook and Fields accounted for 28 percent of the Panthers’ scoring output and 47 percent of the team’s assists. “They are one of the best balanced teams in our league,” Thompson said when asked about the Panthers’ newfound depth. “Their talent level is extremely high, and they established themselves tonight.” The Hoyas’ ride home through the snow drifts will be especially biting given Young’s brash statements after the Panthers’ victory over Seton Hall last Saturday, when he boasted that Pitt was “the better team until [Georgetown] prove[d] otherwise.” onday night, Young and his teammates backed it up. And for the first time this season, Georgetown – who has shot 43 percent over its last two contests – has something to prove. The chance will come Saturday afternoon, when the Hoyas host Notre Dame at Verizon Center.