GU Hospital Loses Staff Member in Crash

OBITUARY GU Hospital Loses Staff Member in Crash By Liz McDonald Hoya Staff Writer

Courtesy organ Hall Sandra Teague

After planning the trip of her dreams for over a year, Sandra D. Teague, a physical therapist at Georgetown University Hospital, boarded American Airlines Flight 77 with the same sense of adventure, excitement and wonder she directed to every aspect of her life.

On Tuesday, Sept. 11, Frank Huffman, Teague’s boyfriend of four months, dropped her off at Dulles International Airport for the first leg of her trip to Australia.

Only a few hours later, her flight to Los Angeles, hijacked by terrorists, crashed into the Pentagon.

“She had an amazing sense of adventure, and she couldn’t wait to take her first international trip,” said co-worker Morgan Hall, clinical manager of the department of physical medicine and rehabilitation.

Hall described the couple’s relationship as “very intense” and said they were “quickly going down the road of engagement, marriage and children.”

A dedicated athlete, Teague’s plans in Australia included rock-climbing, hiking and rafting. She was also a member of her department’s recreational softball league, The Scrubs.

Teague, 31, earned her bachelor of science degree in business management/marketing at the University of North Carolina in Greensboro, N.C., in 1992 and her master of science in physical therapy at the University of Osteopathic Medicine and Health Sciences in Des Moines, Iowa, in 1998.

Teague moved to the Washington area from Iowa in August 2000, after receiving a job at the hospital.

Teague was admired by her colleagues for her dedication and professionalism in the workplace.

“She possessed excellent clinical skills combined with warm compassion for all of her patients,” her co-workers wrote in a memorium. “Her willingness to share her knowledge and skills with her co-workers and with the students whom she mentored was an extension of her love of her profession.”

Teague is survived by her parents Elaine and James Teague and her sister Jennifer Teague, all of N.C.

She is also survived by her brother Chris Teague of San Antonio, Texas.

According to Hall, the family has not yet announced how they wish to memorialize Teague.

Teague’s department is in the process of assembling a memory book to be presented to her family.

“The book will include pictures and special memories her co-workers have of her,” Hall said.