GU Hosts Carroll Round

Students from universities across the United States and abroad converged on Georgetown’s campus from April 16 to April 19 for the eighth annual Carroll Round, Georgetown’s international economics conference.

Undergraduate students from colleges including the University of California, Berkeley; the London School of Economics; the University of Chicago and the American University in Bulgaria presented papers detailing original research in Healy Hall on Friday and Saturday.

The papers covered topics such as free trade, human growth and development and the predictive effects of credit default swaps.

“The number of papers presented on financial markets and development reflects the current situation [regarding the financial crisis],” said Dan Leonard, public relations chair for the conference-organizing committee.

With over 60 applicants – the most in the conference’s history – this year’s selection process was difficult.

“[The Carroll Round] brings together accomplished undergraduate students, expert economists, dynamic new ideas and enjoyable events,” Committee Chair Rebecca Heide (SFS ’09) said. “The quality of all papers presented was particularly exceptional.”

Heide also presented a research project at the conference, titled “The Impact of European Union Accession on Individual Trade Policy Preferences,” which investigated whether individuals’ attitudes towards trade are affected by their citizenship in a European Union country.

Two distinguished guest lecturers gave presentations at the conference. Dr. Eric Maskin, a professor at Princeton University and 2007 Nobel laureate in Economics for his work in mechanism design theory, gave the 2009 John F. Nash lecture to conference participants at an auditorium in the nearby Four Seasons Hotel. Dr. Nassim Taleb, a bestselling author known for his contributions to the Black Swan theory and his research in randomness, gave the 2009 Oweiss Lecture on Saturday at the Alumni House.

The weekend’s activities were the product of the 11-person Undergraduate Steering Committee’s months of hard work and careful planning.

Leonard said that the planning was a powerful learning opportunity for those involved.

“The committee has been working since the beginning of the academic year to organize and prepare [for this],” Leonard said. “A lot goes into putting on an event such as this, from raising funds, to attracting prospective participants, to inviting speakers, and managing hotel and restaurant reservations.”

Arjun Pant (SFS ’09), who presented a research project, entitled “The Effect of Financial Development on Credit Access in India,” said that he found the Carroll Round very engaging.

“The speakers were excellent,” Pant said. “The participation was high and it was quite encouraging.”

When not presenting their work, attendees toured downtown Washington D.C. and visited local area landmarks, including a private tour of the Federal Reserve.

“For many participants, this was their first visit to Washington, D.C. – and in some cases, the United States – and all were eager to take advantage of what the Carroll Round, Georgetown University, and the city had to offer,” Leonard said.

“This conference represents the best of Georgetown; in pursuing the highest academic standards, students, alumni, and faculty joining hands and influencing others at the global level,” said Mitch Kaneda, professor of Economics and associate dean of the School of Foreign Service.

“[The students who presented] are among those most likely to impact the world of economics in a positive way in years to come,” Leonard said.

The Carroll Round was sponsored by the School of Foreign Service, the Carroll Scholars Program and private donors. Georgetown faculty members also chaired panel discussions and lectures.

Click here for more information on past Carroll Rounds.

Correction: This article originally stated the Carroll Round was held from April 19 to April 22. The conference took place from April 16 to April 19.