GU Impresses in Md.

The Georgetown men’s tennis team is looking more and more promising as the fall season comes to a close.

The weekend saw Georgetown play strongly and beat some of the toughest competition they will face in the spring. Senior Dave Tillem went 5-for-6 in his matches and seven different Hoyas earned singles victories. Still, none of that compared to the play of freshman Charlie Caris, who stole the show by winning all six of his matches this weekend and all six of his matches last weekend.

Head Coach Gordie Ernst noted the impressive play of his talented freshman.

“Charlie [Caris] is 12-0 in his last 12 matches,” he said. “Ted Tywang was the last guy to have that streak, which was three years ago. For a freshman to come in there and beat guys from Brown, Boston College, Binghamton, Navy, George Washington, and the University of Maryland. it is an incredible first few weeks on campus.”

The team began play on Friday with matches against The George Washington University. Continuing their stellar doubles play from last weekend, the men took three of the four doubles points, with the only loss at the fourth spot by the team of senior Will Lowell and junior Tim Walsh.

The men then took three of the seven singles matches, with Carris, Lowell and junior Bryan Miller, a transfer from UNLV, downing their Colonial foes. Miller played an up-and-down match, winning the first set easily before dropping the second and then dominating the third to win 6-2, 3-6, 6-1.

Tillem lost his only match on the weekend in a three-set battle by a nearly identical score of 3-6, 6-1, 2-6.

On Saturday, the men played regional powerhouse Maryland and once again took three of the four doubles matches and following the same script as the day before, the Hoyas won three of the seven singles matches to split the tie.

Tillem and Caris both won tight three setters and sophomore Rafael Notario scored a straight sets singles victory, 6-3, 6-3 over UMD’s Mike Eisenberg.

Playing against tournament host Navy on Sunday, the men repeated their dominating doubles performance. For the third time in as many days, the team took three of the four doubles matches.

Unlike the previous days, the Hoyas captured five of the eight singles points to win the match outright. Sophomore Michael Clarke got his first singles win of the weekend with a tight 7-6 (6), 6-4 win. Caris continued to roll with a 6-3, 6-2 win, Notario picked up a straight sets victory and Tillem, playing his third three setter in three days, scrapped out a 6-4 third set victory. Miller dropped the first set 2-6 but rallied to win 2-6, 6-1, 6-3 to finish off the day.

Ernst attributes such a successful fall to the contributions of the newcomers.

“The recruits . have added so much chemistry to the team, both on the men’s and women’s side,” he said. “Everyone really pulls for each other and it helps. The selfishness is gone. When one player is down another is picking them up. . This has been probably been one of my best falls, and if we stay healthy it is going to be a fun spring.”

The men and women close out the fall season in two weeks at the ITA Mid Atlantic Invitational.”