GU Keeps Pace With Nation’s Best

On one of the biggest stages for indoor track and field competition, at the Armory in New York City, the Georgetown women’s track and field team found themselves toeing the line with the nation’s perennial powers. Hailing from the powerful SEC and Big 12, schools such as No. 20 Kansas, No. 15 Kentucky, No. 4 Arkansas, No. 3 Texas A&M and No. 1 LSU were all present.

After a sprint-laden first day, where most were watching the showdown between LSU and Arkansas, Georgetown was little more than an afterthought in 17th place. Yet after a strong second day, in which Georgetown filled the distance results with blue and gray, the Hoyas demonstrated that they can hold their own with the nation’s best, finishing an impressive third amongst the talented field.

While the women’s distance team has been consistently strong throughout the year, this past weekend’s performance at the New Balance Collegiate Invite in New York City proved the Hoyas can run with anyone.

“For us to get third is a pretty special thing. … [Distance] is kind of the tradition at Georgetown; we’ve got some younger 400 [meter] times that are trying to get better, but it’s the older middle distance and distance runners that are carrying the team so far,” Head Coach Pat Henner said.

In the mile run, it was all Georgetown, as senior Joanna Rodgers used a late kick to take first, in 4:46.63, redshirt junior Maggie Infeld took second in 4:47.89 and sophomore Renee Tomlin took fourth. Both Rodgers and Infeld posted NCAA provisional times in the effort.

“It’s a really nice feeling to be warming up with people that you work out with everyday and that are going to be getting us top places in the races,” Infeld said.

The women were equally as strong in the 3000m where three Hoyas posted NCAA provisional times, as well as personal records. Seniors Liz Maloy and Melissa Grelli ran alone for most of the race, yet still managed to post personal bests while finishing second and third, respectively. Junior Lise Ogrodnick added to the Hoyas’ depth coming in fifth.

“This is probably the best team I’ve ever been a part of, so it’s really exciting,” Maloy said.

While it was the mile and the 3000m where the women really shined, the Hoyas were able to pick up some significant points in the middle distance events as well. Senior Ashley Hubbard hung on to a fast pace in the 800m and was able to take fourth in an NCAA provisional time of 2:08.44. In the 1000m it was junior Avril Ogrodnick taking second in a time of 2:53.79.

On the men’s side, a number of Georgetown runners showed that they could compete on the big stage as well, placing amongst the nation’s best in a host of events. Continuing his strong season thus far, sophomore Danny Harris won his heat in the 800 with a personal record of 1:52.62. Harris would then go on to show his speed, posting a 47.8 split on the fourth-place distance medley team of senior Rasheed Thompson, sophomore Alex Bean and junior Alex Mason.

In the 3000m, redshirt sophomore Andrew Bumbalough and senior Matt Debole, couldn’t quite reel in senior Bobby Curtis of Villanova, despite strong finishes. Yet Bumbalough finished second with an NCAA automatic qualifying time of 7:53.63 and Debole completed his run with an NCAA provisional time of 7:56.03.

One of the most compelling performances of the weekend was junior Kenny Mitchell’s best personal performance in the 200m. Mitchell matched up against the nation’s top sprinters and represented Georgetown well, finishing fifth with a time of 21.37.

“You’re talking about running against the best sprint schools in the country, which shows the caliber he’s sprinting at right now,” Henner said.

The Hoyas will take this next weekend off, returning to the Armory where they look to be competitive in the Big East championships. Both teams have a legitimate shot at the title and are coming around at just the right time, posed to have a successful segue into the outdoor season.