GU Outlasts Orange in 12 Innings

It looks like junior pitcher Jennifer Connell may have taken a page out of Johnny Flynn’s book.

In Georgetown’s (10-25, 4-10 Big East) first-ever Big East matchup against Syracuse (19-13,8-4), Connell and the Blue and Gray added a new chapter to the storied Georgetown-Syracuse rivalry, edging the Orange for a thrilling 2-1 victory in 12 innings. Connell proved to be the difference, allowing only one run in a mind-boggling 12 innings pitched.

A regulation NCAA Division I softball game lasts seven innings – 12 innings is a remarkably long time to stay on the field. Though the game didn’t quite receive national attention compared to the six-overtime Syracuse basketball game a month ago, it has been immortalized in Hoya history as the longest game Georgetown has ever played.

What turned into a classic pitchers’ duel initially seemed to suggest otherwise. In the top of the first, Georgetown’s junior third baseman Demetria Cipriano led off the game with a solo home run, her second of the season. The Orange, however, retaliated quickly with a run of their own in the bottom of the inning, knotting the score at one each.

From then on, however, offense became a rarity for both teams, as Connell and Orange freshman pitcher Jenna Caira combined for 10 full scoreless innings. In that span Connell, who refused to succumb to fatigue, was able to retire the side three times, allowing only six hits.

Though both teams threatened to score multiple times over the next 10 innings, textbook defense allowed both pitchers to escape from multiple jams, as each team recorded two double plays apiece.

Georgetown finally broke the ice in the top of the 12th inning. After sophomore right fielder Kristi Preuss reached on a fielder’s choice, junior shortstop and captain Samantha Peters singled to right field, allowing Preuss to move to third. With two outs, freshman first baseman Cara Savarese came through with a single, driving in Preuss to give the Hoyas a 2-1 advantage. After giving up a single to the leadoff batter, Connell was able to secure the victory by retiring the next three batters.

Offensively the Hoyas were led by Cipriano and Peters, who each went 3-for-6. Savarese hit 2-for-6 and was responsible for the game winning RBI.

With a performance as remarkable as her no-hitter earlier this year, Connell earned win. Over her 12 innings pitched, Connell allowed only one run on eight hits.

The Hoyas ran out of steam for the latter game of the doubleheader, as they were overcome by the Orange 5-2. Freshman Mackensey Carter took the loss, allowing five runs on eight hits over six innings.

After being held scoreless for 11 straight innings, Syracuse broke out with three consecutive hits to open the game, giving the Orange an early 2-0 advantage. In the bottom of the second, Syracuse’s offensive prowess struck again, as a two-run single by senior shortstop Jamie Kelling and an RBI single by sophomore infielder Hallie Gibbs extended the Syracuse lead to five.

Georgetown responded in the top of the fifth with a two-run single from Saverese to cut the lead to 5-2. From then on the Hoyas were stifled by Syracuse pitching, and were unable to mount an additional rally.

At 4-10 in conference the Hoyas will have ample chances to improve upon their Big East record, as the team has eight regular season games remaining against conference foes.

Next up for the Hoyas is local rival UMBC. The game, which will be held at Guy Mason Field later today, is scheduled to start at 4 p.m.