GU Splits Conference Games

WOMEN’S SOCCER GU Splits Conference Games By Eric Kim Hoya Staff Writer

Charles Nailen/The Hoya The Hoyas were victorious against Providence this weekend, but fell to BC.

Coming off three wins in their last four games, the Georgetown women’s soccer team embarked on a three-game road trip and split two Big East Conference games last weekend.

Sunday, the Hoyas topped Providence 2-1 for their second conference win of the year. Sophomore forward Courtney Shaub broke a 1-1 tie in the 83rd minute of the game with her third goal of the year, sealing the much-needed conference victory.

Last Friday, however, Georgetown could not stop a streaky Boston College team, losing 2-1 in Chestnut Hill.

Playing against the Friars, freshman forward Casey McCann gave the Hoyas an early one-point lead with her third goal of the season. In the 7th minute of the game, McCann fought hard for an incoming corner kick and delivered the ball past Providence goalkeeper Caroline Haines. McCann’s goal was unassisted.

Georgetown barely had time to celebrate as Providence quickly returned the favor. Less than a minute after McCann’s goal, Friar midfielder Kate Kearney took a pass from teammate Kaitlyn Welsch and rocketed a low shot past Hoya senior goalkeeper Shereena Chang, tying the game at one.

Providence continued to attack the Georgetown defense, but Chang made several key saves to keep her team in the match. Chang would finish the day with six saves.

The Hoya defensive unit, meanwhile, displayed game-saving ability. In the 53rd minute, Friar midfielder Maura Robertson booted a 40-yard kick toward an empty Georgetown net. Junior defender Liza Yanuzzi, however, was able to get her feet on the shot and clear it out of harm’s way.

Finally, with seven minutes remaining, the Hoyas capitalized on the strong defensive effort with Shaub’s goal. In a mad scramble in the goal box, Shaub got to the ball first and managed to get it into the net for the game-winner.

The win over Providence upped Georgetown’s overall record to 8-5 and 2-4 in Big East competition. The Friars fell below .500 to 5-6-1 overall and 1-4-1 in the conference.

On Friday, the Hoyas came into Boston not knowing what to expect from an inconsistent Eagle team. Boston College entered Friday’s game with wins over nationally ranked conference opponents No. 15 Connecticut and No. 24 Miami. In its most recent game, however, it was shutout by non-conference team Harvard 1-0.

The Eagles attacked early. Carolyn Iacobelli took an accurate cross-pass from teammate and current Big East Conference Offensive Player of the Week Sarah Rahko and shot the ball past Georgetown senior goalkeeper Shereena Chang. Iacobelli’s score came only eight minutes into the first half.

Carrying the one-goal lead into the second half, Boston College struck again with help from Iacobelli. The junior forward set up Katherine Halloran’s goal at the 64th minute, giving the Eagles the 2-0 advantage.

The Hoyas continued to attack, however, and at the 90th minute their effort finally paid off as freshman midfielder Nicole DePalma got her second goal in as many games. Junior defender Flynn Coleman got the assist as DePalma ended Boston College goalkeeper Elyse eredith’s shutout bid with 49 seconds left in the contest. It was DePalma’s second goal of the season.

Georgetown was out-shot 14-11 by Boston College. Chang made four saves in the losing cause. Boston College is in second place in the Northeast Division of the Big East with a 3-2-1 conference record. It is 6-6-1 overall.

The Hoyas complete their road trip this Friday at Mid-Atlantic Division rival Seton Hall. The Pirates have yet to win a conference match-up and are stuck in the division cellar with a 4-8-1 overall mark. Georgetown will then finish its season at home in key games against three conference teams. Their upcoming opponents will include No. 19 West Virginia, the same team that eliminated them from the postseason Big East Tournament last year.

Team Schedules/Rosters 2001 Women’s Soccer Schedule | Roster