GU Squads Struggle

TENNIS GU Squads Struggle By Tom Kenny Hoya Staff Writer

The Georgetown men’s tennis team struggled Sunday as they were shut out 7-0 by Big East power Virginia Tech in Blacksburg, Va. After the loss, its record in dual matches is 1-2. The women’s team was narrowly defeated by James Madison, 4-3, on Sunday. They are still looking for their first win of the 2002 season, as their record fell to 0-3.

The Hoyas were never really in the match against the Hokies, who are currently ranked No. 59 in the Intercollegiate Tennis Association Poll and have a record of 4-1. Virginia Tech opened the match by winning all three doubles matches to take the doubles point and a 1-0 lead. Only the third doubles team of sophomore Dennis Cravedi and junior Troy Crichlow was able extend the Hokies in the eight game pro-set, losing 9-7.

In singles, the Hoyas did not fair much better, losing all six matches, including five in straight sets. Freshman Eric Bildman was the only Hoya to extend the match into a third set before finally falling to Virginia Tech freshman David Emery 4-6, 6-1, 10-5 in the longest match of the day. It was the third win in only two days for the Virginia Tech.

The Hokies had already defeated the University of Tennessee-Chattanooga earlier that Sunday in Blacksburg. They also defeated Penn State the previous day, 6-1. The Hokies did not lose a doubles match in any of their three victories and have won four straight matches since losing their opener to William & ary.

On the women’s side, James Madison’s strong doubles play doomed the Hoyas. Georgetown fell behind early, as the Dukes decisively won the doubles point. The Hoyas were able to rally in singles play to win three of the six matches but fell just short of picking up the victory.

Freshmen Lydia Bartell and Trina Snow and senior Caroline arshall picked up victories for the Hoyas at second, fourth and sixth singles respectively. However, all three losses in singles play came in straight sets.

Both squads look to rebound as they return to action tomorrow against local rivals. The men’s team will travel to face aryland. The Terps lost to American 5-2 on Feb. 2 in their only dual match of the 2002 season. The women will meet George Mason at the Burke Racquet Club. The Patriots won the last meeting between the two schools 4-3 on Feb. 2, 2001.