GU Ties Columbia in Double Overtime Thriller

Georgetown women’s soccer fought Columbia to a rough 0-0 tie last year. On Thursday, the Lions brought their physical, almost violent play back to Harbin Field to face the Hoyas. In a double overtime game which featured plenty of unnecessary pushing and tackling along with four yellow cards and an ejection, the Georgetown women’s soccer team could only grind its way to a 2-2 tie.

“It was a hard-fought match, but lady luck just wasn’t on our side,” Head Coach Diane Drake said. “Columbia is probably the most physical team we’ll play this season.”

The dramatic game started off slowly for the Hoyas, as the Lions got on the board first with a goal from Lauren Papalia at the 14:09 mark.

“We came out flat in the first half, which has been a common theme in our season,” Drake said. “Our lack of experience shows since we have so many young players.”

After the first goal of the game, the two teams played neck and neck for the next 20 minutes, until the 37:09 mark. A free kick from junior defender Alyson Smith into a chaotic crowd of Hoyas and Lions found its way to freshman midfielder Jen Choiniere, who headed it into the goal to even the game at one.

However, the spotlight in the first half was not on the players but the referee. He often made questionable and inconsistent calls, drawing the ire of the 129 fans in attendance and letting the game take its tough, physical pace.

“The ref really took control of the game in the second half but he had no control in the first half,” Drake said.

Unlike the beginning of the first half, the Hoyas exploded with an offensive barrage on the Columbia goalie in the second half. Georgetown got three great chances in the first couple of minutes, but they got pass happy, keeping them from finding the back of the net.

The Hoyas continued to control the ball throughout most of the second half but the smooth offense was abruptly interrupted when, at the 79:43 mark, Columbia’s Meredith Corkery squirted a shot past junior goalkeeper Shereena Chang.

Georgetown spent little time dwelling on the Columbia goal, answering back with a goal from senior midfielder Natalie Giugno. Giugno took a cross pass from senior midfielder Liz Delgado and sent it into the net to tie the game at two.

More rough play dominated the second half, as the referee gave out three yellow cards and also red-carded Georgetown assistant coach Dave Nolan. The physical play did little for the Lions offensively, as they attempted only four shots in the 75 minutes after halftime.

The two 15-minute overtime periods were also dominated by the Hoyas, who had several opportunities to end the game. Sophomore forward Karin Ostrander, who had a pulled hamstring, almost got a shot over the goalkeeper’s head, and with eight minutes left in the second overtime, Delgado fired a shot off the crossbar.

“We weren’t as composed as we could be, especially in overtime,” Drake said. “We could’ve turned it up another level. I thought we’d win this game.”

The Georgetown effort was highlighted by solid team play. The first starting appearance of goalkeeper, “General” Chang, who is coming back from an ankle injury, helped even more.

“You could immediately sense her vocal presence,” Drake said. “It was nice to get back the General.”

Chang was also happy to return to the field. “I felt pretty good in my first game back. “The ankle’s fine and this is definitely a stepping stone into the right direction,” Chang said.

The tie with Columbia brings the Hoyas’ unbeaten streak to four. Tuesday’s game against James Madison was rained out and will be made up on Sept. 26. This leaves the squad to prepare for its Big East Mid-Atlantic opener at Rutgers on Sunday.

“We need three wins out of our six division games to get to the Big East Tournament,” Drake said. “We have to win this game against Rutgers.”

Related Links

Women’s Soccer Schedule

Women’s Soccer Roster