GU Wins Conference Title

There are many factors affecting the outcome of a sailing regatta. The wind and the weather can all change the outcome of a race. But last weekend, when the Hoyas won the MAISA Coed Fall Championship, things were much simpler.

“We were just faster than the field,” Head Coach Mike Callahan said. “It was a great regatta for us.”

Two sophomore skippers – Charlie Buckingham in division A and Evan Aras in division B – guided the Hoyas to success.

“It’s a testament to our sophomores and a good sign for the future,” Callahan said.

Buckingham, who sailed with junior Alex Taylor for much of the race and senior Carly Chamberlain for a few heats, finished second in division A. Callahan said Buckingham and Taylor could have finished first but had a bad race in the last heat. The combination of Buckingham and Taylor helped the Hoyas win the 2008 national championship last spring.

In division B, Aras and junior crew Caila Johnson easily won first place, “dominating their division,” according to Callahan.

Following Georgetown was Navy and St. Mary’s, the No. 1 team in the nation.

“It’s always a big deal to beat the No. 1 team,” Callahan said. “St. Mary’s is a small school, but they have good facilities and two good coaches. When we beat them, it’s kind of like a David vs. Goliath, only not like you’d think – we’re David and they’re Goliath.”

The race was held on Cayuga Lake at Cornell with 18 teams participating.

At the women’s conference championship this weekend, Georgetown took second place.

The Hoyas have been on a steady climb back to the top after finishing 17th in a regatta at Yale several weeks ago – a showing that dropped Georgetown from the rankings for the first time in a while.

Last weekend they bounced back, finishing sixth of 18 teams at the Harvard Women’s Intersectional.

“[This weekend’s race] ties into last weekend at Harvard,” Callahan said. “Sixth is a big jump from the last race when they finished 17th.”

In the conference race this weekend, Georgetown fell just four points shy of the first place St. Mary’s team. Senior Emily Babbitt and sophomore Ashley Phillips raced in division A and freshman Sidney Bolger and sophomore Ginger Cutler sailed the division B boat. Georgetown finished ahead of tough opponents Old Dominion and Navy.