GU Women Sweep Longwood For Second Straight Win

The Georgetown women’s tennis team picked up a victory Friday against Longwood University, winning its first back-to-back matches of the season, before falling to Rutgers University on Saturday. The men’s team was unable to pick up a victory, as it lost a tight 4-3 match to Longwood.

The women were utterly dominant from the outset of Friday’s match against Longwood, winning the first of the doubles matches without dropping a single game, as senior Briana Kearney and freshman Jacquie Harrison dominated their opponents 8-0. The win was quickly backed up by sophomore captain Alex Sebia and partner freshman Aileen Shea, who took their match 8-3. The Hoyas swept the doubles point with a hard-fought 8-7 (7-1) win.

The women had no intention of putting away the brooms, as they refused to give up a single set en route to a dominating 7-0 performance. Sophomore Lacey Herchek made her debut in the lineup, playing the sixth position, and began her college career with a victory. Sebia and Harrison both continued their streak of good play, winning their matches 6-3, 6-1, and 6-1, 6-1, respectively. The top of the lineup faced tougher opposition, but sophomores Caroline Kuehn and Maxi Thiels were able to fight off late rallies by their opponents to win their matches in straight sets.

The women went back out on the court the next day to play Rutgers and were on the opposite end of a sweep. They were simply outmatched from the outset, losing the doubles point in less than forty minutes. With the tone set, the singles matches followed suit, with the women unable to earn a set. One worrying note for the team is that Shea was injured during the doubles match and had to default on her singles match.

The men’s team once again fought hard but was unable to come away with the victory. For the fourth match in a row, the men were able to win the crucial doubles point with the freshman duo of Mieszko Tomczyk and Andrew Bruhn sealing a tight 9-8 (7-3) victory for the point. Bruhn continued his strong play, besting his opponent 6-4, 7-5. Sophomore Tim Walsh continued his winning ways by posting a 6-4, 6-2 victory. Longwood rallied to even the match at three all with junior David Tillem, freshman Michael Clarke and senior Kenneth Wong all losing in straight sets. Down an early break in the second set after dropping the first, senior captain Adam Gross rallied to steal the set in a close 7-5 tie-break, but he was unable to sustain his momentum as he fell quietly 6-2 in the third.

The men next play at home on Friday against Marquette University. The women are at home on Wednesday against West Virginia University.