GU’s Defense Folds Late In Loss to James Madison

The Georgetown women’s soccer team brought its strong offense to James Madison on Tuesday, scoring four goals on six shots. However, the Hoyas forgot to bring their defense, and lost to the Dukes, 5-4, in a fast-paced game that featured seven goals in the second half.

“Both teams played very well but there wasn’t very strong defense on either side,” Head Coach Diane Drake said. “The whole game went north-south and everyone was sprinting for the ball.”

The past four games had seen the Hoyas give up the first goal and play inconsistently through the first 15 to 20 minutes. The Hoyas finally broke this trend, getting off to a strong start in the first half. At the 19:20 mark, freshman midfielder Jen Choiniere notched her fourth goal of the season off a corner kick from junior defender Alyson Smith.

Georgetown extended its lead to two with five minutes left in the half when freshman midfielder Jessie Beers-Altman took a pass from freshman midfielder Alyssa Conlow and beat the James Madison goalkeeper on a breakaway to obtain her first career goal.

The Hoyas’ 2-0 lead at the half was somewhat deceiving, as they were barely able to hold off a James Madison attack that attempted nine shots.

“James Madison kept bringing waves of attack in the first half but had some bad luck with their shots,” Drake said. “I knew a team like them knew how to win, and I told that to my players at the half.”

The Dukes proved Drake to be right, as they quickly got their first score only 2:51 into the second half and took momentum of the game. Less than three minutes later, James Madison tied the game up when Christy Metzker beat Georgetown’s junior goalkeeper Shereena Chang.

“They scored two-and-a-half minutes into the half and it opened the floodgates,” Drake said. “It woke them up and they controlled the flow.”

The Hoyas soon answered back with an unassisted goal from junior midfielder Liza Rojas-Alford at the 52:34 mark to seal up the cracks and give them back the lead. However, the Dukes’ attack force was too strong to hold down. Metzker, who had tied the game at two for James Madison, stole

Related Links

Women’s Soccer Schedule

Women’s Soccer Roster