GUSA Approves SEED Funds

Sean Crnkovich (MSB ’05) was appointed to the Disciplinary Review Committee and by a 9-4 vote the GUSA Assembly approved a $1,000 special speaker fund for Students Ending Eating Disorders during the student assembly’s Tuesday evening meeting.

Crnkovich will replace Jim Mattus (COL ’05) who is studying abroad this semester. “Since I have spent a considerable amount of time studying both the current and proposed policies, as well as trying to get a feel for student sentiment regarding these policies, I believe that I will be an effective representative of students’ interests,” Crnkovich said.

Representative Jack Ternan (COL ’04) introduced the resolution to allocate $1,000 to SEED which wants to bring Jamie Lynn Di Scala, an eating disorder awareness spokesperson, who plays eadow on HBO’s “The Sopranos,” to speak on campus.

GUSA President Brian Morgenstern (COL ’05) opposed the measure.

“The issue is larger than funding this particular event. The GUSA Assembly is not a funding board. If we funded every group’s events who already can get SAC funding, we’d use all of our own budget,” he said.

Representative Luis Torres (COL ’05), who supported the resolution, disagreed. “We can find a way for this just like we have found a way for other things.”

SEED had already applied for funds from the Student Activities Commission but was rejected. SAC suggested SEED apply for funds from the Volunteer and Public Services Commission, which also denied their request, Lisa Gallo (COL ’06), who represented SEED at the meeting, said.

“We got lost in the bureaucratic shuffle,” she said.

Morgenstern will now meet with GUSA Treasurer Tim Bernier (MSB ’04) to find the money to fund the resolution.

In his weekly executive report, Morgenstern described a revision in the housing selection policy. Rising seniors who live on campus will now be given selection priority over rising juniors.

He also highlighted an initiative to extend GUTS bus hours to Saturday nights once a month. The pilot program will debut this weekend to see if there is sufficient demand.