GUSA Cuts Senate Seats for Oct. Election

Image Contributor
GUSA modified its system for student representation.

The Georgetown University Student Association voted on Sunday to reduce the number of seats in the GUSA Senate in an effort to increase accountability.

The new system, which will affect the October elections of the 2009-2010 GUSA Senate, reduces the number of senators in most dorms and residential communities by one, and adds four at-large senators. The act reduces the total number of seats in the Senate from 36 to 25, according to GUSA Vice President Jason Kluger (MSB ’11).

GUSA’s decision to modify the size of the Senate follows the results of a survey of undergraduates the GUSA Executive designed and conducted this summer, in which only 59 of 898 students responded favorably when asked about how they felt about GUSA. Of the 898 surveyed, 619 were in favor of changing the structure of the Student Association.

“Sharing this information and acting on it is a strategic imperative,” Kluger said as he presented the act to the Senate in a meeting on Sept. 7. “It is essential for the future growth and success of GUSA to be in line with your constituents, the ones who filled out the survey.”

Before being passed, the act provided for a reduction of 36 senators to 19, with only one senator representing each dorm or residential community.

any senators disagreed with the change, arguing that the new system would effectively dismantle proportional representation.

“The only way I think it would be right is if it was a mathematical formula,” Senator Adam Talbot (COL ’12) said.

Others said that the change will help senators feel more responsibility in representing their districts and force them to take their positions more seriously.

“When you’re one of 35, you don’t think your voice is very important,” Senator Chris Pigott (COL ’12) said. “But if I was one of 20, I feel like I would step up and become more involved because there would be no one else to do it.”

As a result, the Senate settled on 21 district seats and four at-large seats.

Kluger and GUSA President Calen Angert (MSB ’11) said during the Sept. 7 meeting that they hope the change will provide a greater incentive for senators to attend meetings. In the past, GUSA has struggled with attendance. In February 2009, eight senators were forced to resign because they had missed too many meetings.

Kluger said he was pleased that the senatorial representation act was passed. He said he hopes that it will mark the beginning of a new era for GUSA.

“If the student body says something so dramatically, it’s not only a responsibility but an imperative that we listen, and this was a very good step for GUSA internally to be more efficient and externally to be more representative,” Kluger said.

During the meeting, the Senate approved Heather Gartin (MSB ’11), Ryan Gavigan (COL ’11) and Adam Giansiracusa (SFS ’12) as the new election commissioners for the GUSA election in October.

The election of the next GUSA senate is scheduled for Oct. 1.”