GUSA Poll Elects Seven Reps

The seven seats on the GUSA Assembly that have been vacant this year were filled on Monday when four freshmen and three juniors were elected by their classes following a weeklong campaign.

The class of 2009 elected Anthony Bonna (MSB ’09), Shannon Corrigan (MSB ’09), Will Dreher (SFS ’09) and Brian Wood (COL ’09) to its four seats in the Assembly, while juniors elected Christina Goodlander (COL ’07), Salik Ishtiaq (SFS ’07) and Jeremy White (COL ’07) to seats that have been vacant since April.

The Election Commission announced the results in Sellinger Lounge on Tuesday. Benita Sinnarajah (NHS ’06), the commission’s chair, declined to disclose vote totals, though she said she was impressed by voter turnout. GUSA has not released vote totals for each of its last two elections as well.

The election settled the fate of the three junior seats, which have been disputed since Ishtiaq, Khalil Hibri (SFS ’07) and Julia de Araujo (SFS ’07) were disqualified in the spring for violating GUSA’s election bylaws. Ishtiaq and Hibri ran for the seats in this semester’s campaign on a platform strongly critical of the election code.

Hibri was the only junior candidate not elected to the Assembly. Ishtiaq said he was disappointed, but that he intends to collaborate with Hibri in his work on the Assembly.

“I’m very happy that we managed to win at least a seat,” he said.

He added that he still plans to pursue bylaw reforms, blaming the current bylaws for what he said was low interest in the election.

“We should have seen a big crowd here expecting results,” he said.

Newly-elected freshman representatives also weighed in on the election bylaws, with some saying that they imposed restrictions that made it difficult to communicate with voters.

Dreher, who ran on a ticket with Wood, said that the bylaws – which restrict candidates to one poster and $50 in campaign spending each – would be fairer to candidates if they were written by the Election Commission, and not the Assembly.

Corrigan, however, said that the bylaws improved the election by ensuring that only the most dedicated students sought seats.

“By making it complicated, you get the people who want to run,” she said.

White said that the focus of his work on the Assembly will be reforming on-campus student dining options.

“I have one purpose, and that is to ban Marriott and anything related to it from this campus,” he said, referring to Georgetown’s principal food services provider.

Sinnarajah said that no candidates were disqualified from the election for bylaw violations. She said that the only problem involved the Saxa vote-counting server, which malfunctioned, forcing the commission to move the election from last Friday to onday.

The new representatives were sworn into office at an Assembly meeting following the certification and announcement of the results.