GUSA Report: Student Survey Results

I. Introduction.

Background information:

The GUSA Diversity Committee is one of five standing committees that fall under the jurisdiction of the Georgetown University Student Association. Created as a result of a resolution passed by the GUSA assembly on September 22, 1998, the Diversity Committee attempts to promote understanding and interaction between and amongst students of varying religious, political, ethnic, racial, socioeconomic, and sexual backgrounds on Georgetown’s campus. As part of the student government structure, the Committee accomplishes this primarily through supporting the development of campus policies consistent with its purpose, sponsoring dialogues or forums to discuss relevant issues, and serving as a common link between the numerous on-campus cultural organizations and minority groups.

Since its inception in 1998, the Committee has contributed significantly to the Georgetown community. During the 1998-99 academic year, the Committee sponsored a forum entitled “What is Catholic at Georgetown?,” in addition to a series of dialogues that highlighted different faith traditions on campus. As a result of the Committee’s efforts, David Cole, author of No Equal Justice, came to Georgetown to speak about the economic and political injustices that minorities face in regard to law enforcement in the United States. The Committee also established a Cultural Club Network in May of 1999, holding a meeting that brought together the Cuban American Student Association, Mecha, the Knights of Columbus, the Jewish Student Association, the Carribean Culture Circle, MSA, and Campus Ministry. In the fall of 1999, the Committee organized a dialogue that explored gender relations as a part of Georgetown campus life and worked to strengthen the Cultural Club Network as a student government link between various diversity-related campus groups.

The Committee’s current chairpersons are Carrie Solages (SFS ’01) and Joe Morrow (SFS ’01). Its current membership includes:

Jenny Ballen (COL ’03) Alison Fleming (COL ’03) Carolyn Housman (SFS ’03) Antoinette Hurtado (SFS ’02) Anne Johnson (COL’03) Natalie Johnston (COL ’02) Heather Murphy (COL ’03) Zoe Polk (COL ’03) Kimberly Price (SFS ’02) Stacey Tsai (SFS ’03) Justin Williams (COL ’03)

Purpose and conduction of the survey:

In order to better understand how Georgetown students perceive diversity on campus, the Committee chose to conduct a student survey early in the fall of 1999. The Committee felt that Georgetown’s student body should be able to voice their opinions about diversity issues in a constructive manner. In addition, the Committee saw the survey as an opportunity to allow students to define “diversity” as an existing and real part of Georgetown University rather than a vague or abstract concept.

The survey was conducted during October 11-October 22, 1999. embers of the Committee volunteered for shifts in Red Square and New South throughout the day, particularly during lunch and dinner hours. Passing students were provided the opportunity to answer five short questions and submit additional comments if they desired. Committee members approached students to solicit their participation and were also present to ensure that each individual only submitted one ballot.* Afterwards, the responses were tabulated. The results of the survey follow.

Survey results:

1. Is GU a diverse community? Yes: 603 No: 242 Don’t know/not applicable: 55

2. Do you feel there are any tensions present amongst GU students? Yes: 446 No: 320 Don’t know/not applicable: 121

3. Do the courses at GU address diversity issues? Yes: 318 No: 357 Don’t know/not applicable: 216

4. How well do you think the diversity of the student body is reflected in: a. the classroom? Very positively: 225 Somewhat positively: 523 Negatively: 115 Don’t know/not applicable: 49

b. the social setting? Very positively: 140 Somewhat positively: 411 Negatively: 298 Don’t know/not applicable: 50

c. the administration/faculty? Very positively: 152 Somewhat positively: 376 Negatively: 259 Don’t know/not applicable: 115

d. dorm life? Very positively: 268 Somewhat positively: 454 Negatively: 121 Don’t know/not applicable: 54

e. student leaders? Very positively: 211 Somewhat positively: 383 Negatively: 155 Don’t know/not applicable: 138

5. Overall, would you say that efforts to have a diverse student body on college campuses has a more positive or more negative impact on the education of students? Very positive: 397 Somewhat positive: 370 Negative: 63 Don’t know/not applicable: 42