Henle Fight Leaves Officers Wounded

A fight between a student and two Department of Public Safety officers broke out in Henle Village early Sunday morning, sending the officers to the hospital and landing the student in a DPS detention facility.

DPS and the Metropolitan Police Department responded to reports of a fight in Henle at approximately 1 a.m. Sunday, according to DPS Director Darryl Harrison. When officers began to disperse the group, one Georgetown student began to yell at a DPS officer. MPD officers later arrived on the scene.

“The student verbally assaulted the officer, and then a physical altercation ensued,” Harrison said.

Harrison said that the attack on the officer prompted a second officer to intervene. During the fight, the student bit, kicked and punched the two officers.

Both officers were sent to the hospital for injuries sustained during the fight, Harrison said. One officer was treated and released for cuts and abrasions while the other officer was admitted for chest pains.

When the fight cleared, the student assailant was detained by DPS and taken to a detention area in the DPS office in Village C West, according to Harrison.

Several residents in apartments above and in the building adjacent to Henle 62 said that the apartment was hosting a large party Saturday night, which spilled onto the sidewalk outside. Residents said that they heard people from the crowd yelling that there was a fight and later saw DPS and MPD officers arrive on the scene.

Several residents of Henle 62 said that they were unaware of any fight during the weekend.

Harrison said that only one student was involved in injuring the officers but that the case was not closed.

“It is under active investigation,” Harrison said.

This incident is the second since the fall in which a DPS officer was hospitalized. In September, officer Timothy Desmond was sent to Georgetown University Hospital after intervening in a fight outside Reiss Science Building, in which he was struck on the head with a bat, kicked and punched.

MPD had not filed a crime report for this weekend’s incident as of last night, and was unable to comment on how it was involved in the incident’s investigation.