Hoya Men Top Villanova to Seal Big East Tournament Appearance

Two days after falling to the Marquette Golden Eagles 7-0, the Hoyas looked to rebound against the Villanova Wildcats, with the chance to avoid the play-in game of the Big East tournament on the line.

The men immediately fell behind, as they lost the first of the three matches in the crucial doubles’ point, but stormed back with the freshman duo of Andrew Bruhn and Mieszko Tomczyk winning their match 8-5. The first point of the match rested solely in the hands of veteran senior duo, Kevin Walsh and captain Adam Gross. The match was neck and neck throughout, with the teams exchanging breaks and holds, until Gross and Walsh, whose senior Big East tournament experiences were on the line, powered through, stealing the match in a tie-break 9-8 (7-2).

The freshmen and seniors once again proved key as the competition turned to singles play. Senior Ken Wong breezed through his match 6-4, 6-2, while sophomore Tim Walsh and junior Dave Tillem were defeated. With the match level at two-all, the Hoyas stepped up their level of play. Gross rallied from a set down to send his match into a third and decisive set, while Bruhn and Tomczyk came up strong and won in straight sets, to seal the match 4-3 in Georgetown’s favor.

The women also played Big East matches this weekend, but were unable to come away with a win as they fell to Syracuse and Villanova. The weekend proved to be a learning experience for the women, as they played an Orange team that was trained to serve lefty to the Ad side, providing a huge advantage, by former professional player Luke Jensen. Playing arguably the toughest team on their schedule, the women battled and kept things close. Sophomores Caroline Kuehn and Maxi Thiels scored an upset win in the first doubles position, and sophomore captain Alex Sebia fought valiantly in a 7-5, 6-3 loss.