Hoya Notebook

Crew

On Sunday, the Georgetown crew program competed against other universities as well as club and international teams at the Head of the Charles Regatta in Boston. The men’s lightweight-eight team had the best Hoya result against other college teams, placing fourth among 18 crews. Princeton won the event.

The varsity men’s and women’s crews will both compete on Sunday at the Princeton Chase in Princeton, N.J.

Swimming and Diving

The women’s team began its dual meet season by defeating the George Washington Colonials 138-90 on Saturday at McCarthy Pool. The men fell 120-96 to GWU that same day. Freshman Laura Stark led the Hoyas as a member of the first-place 400-yard medley relay team and the winner of both the 200yd backstroke and freestyle events.

Just behind Stark in the freestyle was freshman Emma Porteus, who was also a member of the winning 400yd relay team. The Colonials did not enter any divers, allowing the Hoyas to sweep the one- and three-meter diving events.

Three women qualified for the Big East championships: Stark qualified in the 200yd freestyle, freshman Laura Alito in the 50yd freestyle and freshman Margaret Kimball in the 200yd backstroke.

Sophomore Goran Bistric led the men’s team who won the 200yd backstroke. Freshman James LiVolsi was the only Hoya competitor in the 1000yd freestyle. LiVolsi won the event by 21 seconds. Both Bistric and LiVolsi qualified in the 200yd backstroke.

Georgetown returns to McCarthy Pool on Saturday at 1 p.m. against Delaware.