Hoya Notebook

Women’s Golf

After one day of play at the Waterlefe Invitational in Orlando, Fla., Georgetown sits in 12th place of 14 teams. Maryland currently leads the tournament at 25-over par with Princeton, Coastal Carolina and Daytona Beach Community College all within striking distance at 27-, 30- and 31-over par, respectively.

Georgetown, at 44-over par, finds itself ahead of only Mercer and St. John’s. Leading Georgetown is junior Kaitlyn Dwyer, who shot an 8-over par 80 yesterday, putting her in a tie for 19th place.

Princeton’s Susannah Aboff leads all golfers after shooting par for the course. The Tigers, however, sit in second place behind the Terrapins who have two golfers in the top 10 – Aboff and Katherine Trotter.

The Hoyas performance in Florida comes after opening the Spring season with two tournaments, the Fighting Camel Classic in Buies Creek, N.C. and the Northern Illinois University Invitational, held in Sebring, Fla.

At the NIU Springlake Invitational, sophomore Chelsea Curtis led Georgetown, shooting 151 – seven over par. The team finished sixth among 12 squads in a tournament won by Methodist University which shot a 20-over par 596. Georgetown’s 612 was just 16 strokes off the leading pace.

Consistency described the Georgetown squad with Curtis’ 151, sophomore Carly Hunt’s 152 and junior Marie Bos’s 153 over the two-day span. Following Methodist, Lynn, Old Dominion, Florida Gulf Coast and Texas A&M-Corpus Christi rounded out the top five finishers.

Football

After a winter break, the familiar thud-thud of football players returns to the Multi-Sport Facility for a series of spring practices.

The Hoyas finished last season 2-9 and last in the Patriot league. Head Coach Kevin Kelly hopes the off-season improvement of Patriot League rookie of the year running back Charlie Houghton and stability at the quarterback position will boost the Hoyas’ unproductive offense.

After practicing once last week and yesterday, Georgetown has 12 more days of contact practices before its spring exhibition game on April 14.

Inclement Weather

While March Madness continued indoors, Georgetown’s outdoor sports suffered a scheduling fiasco with rain, sleet and snow covering the northeast.

The crew teams saw their opening regatta of the spring washed away over the weekend while the men’s lacrosse team was spared a trip to upstate New York when snow there forced Hobart to visit the District for Saturday’s game. A Saturday baseball doubleheader that was to be played against Pennsylvania was cancelled, as well.