Hoya Notebook

After two sobering losses last weekend, the men’s tennis team was looking to rebound but seemed to find no answers against perennial powerhouse University of Maryland.

The Terrapins outclassed, outshone and overpowered the Hoyas, who seemed caught off-guard from the beginning. Georgetown began play with the top freshman duo of Michael Clarke and Mieszko Tomczyk dropping their match 8-3. Senior captain Adam Gross and partner Andrew Bruhn followed suit in dropping their match by the same score. The experienced veteran team of Ned Samuelson and Ken Wong were unable to find any answers to the problems posed by Maryland, as they dropped their match 8-4.

Singles proved more interesting as Dave Tillem was able to rebound from losing the first set 6-1 to Maryland’s Andy Orban, and several of the other singles players were able to stay close with their opponents. Ultimately Tillem’s spark was not enough as he fell in three sets 6-1, 2-6, 6-3.

The other singles matches did not go as well, as each of the other five players dropped his match in straight sets, with Maryland defeating Georgetown 7-0.

The men are back in action this weekend in New Haven, Conn., where they will take on Yale, University of South Carolina and Stony Brook.