Hoya Notebook: Green, Durant, GU Players Battle at Yates

Offseason? That’s a myth.

A pickup game at Yates Field House featuring Seattle SuperSonics Jeff Green and Kevin Durant, former-Michigan State star Drew Neitzel and most of Georgetown’s team from this past season attracted dozens of onlookers Monday afternoon and was not short on highlights or intensity.

Green, with an array of interior moves, and freshman guard Chris Wright, with some sparkling outside shooting, seemed to be the two leading scorers. Green, donning a pair of Georgetown warmups, also threw down a number of breathtaking dunks in transition. Durant worked mostly on his jumper, which was on and off, but scored at will inside when he felt like it.

Hibbert picked up his fair share of buckets inside, but he had to work for them. He was routinely hacked, perhaps by design to better prepare him for the NBA. On at least one play, Hibbert went up for a gimme only to be walloped by Patrick Ewing Jr., who yelled “go up strong” on his way down.

Neitzel was solid, knocking down a couple long treys and scoring on a few easy buckets. Why he was practicing at Georgetown is unknown. He played on Team USA with Hibbert at last summer’s PanAm games and was seen hobnobbing with Ewing during last month’s Final Four dunk contest.

Other Hoyas competing were DaJuan Summers, Jonathan Wallace and Tyler Crawford. Recently-committed transfer Julian Vaughn, who just finished his freshman season at Florida State, also took part in the workout, showcasing an impressive midrange jumper.