Hoyas Bitten by Tigers

Despite a noticeable height advantage and even though it hails from a superior conference, Georgetown (0-1) fell 65-57 to Towson (1-0) on Saturday in the Hoyas’ home opener. While both teams shot 23-for-55, Towson was led by freshman guard Shanae Baker-Price, whose quickness and shooting ultimately doomed the Hoyas. Baker-Price went 10-for-13 from the free-throw line and recorded three steals to her one turnover.

The Hoyas began the game with a furious 10-2 run on the backs of junior forward Kieraah Marlow (13 rebounds on the day) and sophomore forward Katrina Wheeler (17 boards). The two cleaned just about every missed shot off of the backboard, accounting for nine rebounds in the first eight minutes of play – a portent of the rebounding and post dominance they would show.

“We thought rebounding would be a problem,” Towson Head Coach Joe Matthews said. “That’s been a problem historically. We don’t have many big players and our `bigs’ aren’t really the most athletic players.”

The Hoyas appeared to be headed towards an easy win. Towson could not compete inside – its post presence of seniors forward Kelly Robinson and an injured center, Erin Gaston, could not compete with Marlow and Wheeler inside.

“Their point guard beat us,” Head Coach Terri Williams-Flournoy said. “Her quickness was not a surprise at all. We knew how quick she was. And we knew we would have trouble defending her.”

Her quickness was no surprise because Williams-Flournoy had recruited price. Instead, Georgetown suited up its own D.C.-area freshman guard, Shanice Fuller, who could not compete with Baker-Price.

“Shanice had typical freshman mistakes,” Williams-Flournoy said. “Shanice did not play to her abilities at all.”

Fuller ended the game inauspiciously with seven turnovers, zero points and three fouls. Junior Brina Pollack spelled Fuller at the point, but even she could not bring steady play to the guard position, coughing up a vital turnover in the game’s final minutes.

Junior guard Kristin Heidloff, Georgetown’s best shooter a year ago, was cold against Towson, shooting 2-for-14, including 0-for-7 behind the arc.

Inside the paint, Marlow and Wheeler fought a losing battle. Despite consistent double teams, Marlow penetrated Towson’s shoddy post defense to score 24 points. She displayed versatility in her turnaround and her newly-perfected baseline drive, scoring on both power and finesse moves.

Junior center Aminata Diop came off the bench several times as a result of Williams-Flournoy’s alternating lineups, but Diop’s play was frantic at times and sedated at others.

“She was definitely too physical,” Williams-Flournoy said. “I think some of them were dumb fouls that she’s going to have to learn to clean up.”

Diop spent most of the game on the bench due to foul trouble and, at times, attempted questionable plays for someone of her size, such as dribbling in the backcourt and making cursory stabs at Towson’s ball handlers.

“The only thing [Diop] needs to be is a little more offensive minded, rather than being a decoy, “Marlow said, “because when she’s on the floor, she is our offense.”

Towson’s full court press stymied Georgetown’s offense at times, forcing errant passes to the tune of a 20-to-11 turnover margin. Georgetown’s full court press, on the other hand, was ineffective.

“We really tried to keep pressing and forcing tough shots to make up for [our poor post play],” Matthews said.

The Tigers took a 32-26 lead at the half, surprised to be ahead against a local rival that was supposed to be better.

“I guess you could say we’re the underdogs,” Baker-Price said. “They Big East, we Towson.”

The game changed with 6:44 to play, however. Towson sophomore guard Alis Freeman was called for a controversial intentional foul after a scramble on the floor for a loose ball. Marlow made only one of the two free throws, but the call put momentum back on the Hoyas’ side -they went on a 10-0 run to tie the game at 53 with three minutes remaining.

But Baker-Price was there to carry Towson again, putting together 10 points in the final three minutes, including six consecutive free throws.

After Baker-Price missed two free throws with 57 seconds remaining and the score 59-55 Towson, it appeared that Georgetown had a chance to tie the game, down only two possessions with plenty of time to go.

“After she missed those first two, I pulled her over and told her it’s not about her legs; it’s more about her mind,” Matthews said. “And I want her on the line for a reason.”

Guards won the day, however, as sophomore guard Jamell Beasley robbed Pollack and sealed the game for Towson. Baker-Price went on to hit her final six free throws.

Georgetown plays next in the University of Hawaii tournament in Honolulu, Hawaii. Georgetown squares off with Hawaii at 1 a.m. EST on Friday and plays either Eastern Kentucky or Oklahoma on Saturday.