Hoyas Continue McDonough Over Break

Although they didn’t have a marquee match-up that drew national attention and ESPN coverage like their male cohorts, the women’s hoopsters were still busy over winter break. The Hoyas compiled a 5-2 record and continued their home dominance, winning all four home games during the holidays to stretch their record at McDonough Gymnasium this season to 6-0. Dec. 9 – Georgetown 46, Penn State 57 Georgetown started its winter break schedule with a trip to State College, Pa., where a motivated Nittany Lions squad waited. One week after a last-second upset of then-No. 10 Duke, Penn State out-rebounded Georgetown and held the Hoyas to just 29 percent shooting. Junior guard Brina Pollack had 20 points in the losing effort, a career high. Penn State hit 7-of-10 free throws down the stretch to seal the win and hand Georgetown its second loss of the season. Dec. 16 – Virginia Commonwealth 43, Georgetown 57 Georgetown returned back to the friendly confines of McDonough Gymnasium, and senior forward Kieraah Marlow scored 14 points despite getting into early foul trouble. The Hoyas held a 10-point lead for most of the second half, and sophomore forward Jaleesa Butler scored 10 points in her first start. Dec. 20 – Loyola Marymount 49, Georgetown 75 Georgetown continued its out-of-conference dominance at home by ruling the paint. Butler and Marlow combined for 35 points, and Loyola took one lead, 21-20, but quickly succumbed to Georgetown’s inside pressure. The Hoyas held a 37-26 advantage on the glass as Marlow grabbed 12. Dec. 22 – East Tennessee 52, Georgetown 75 Georgetown had not yet lost at home when the Buccaneers came to visit, and with every player that saw the floor scoring, Georgetown had no problems sinking East Tennessee. Freshman forward and all-Met selection Monica McNutt scored eight points and pulled down three rebounds in 16 minutes. Dec. 29 – Georgetown 60, East Carolina 61 Georgetown fell in the first game of the Virginia Tech Invitational despite several strong individual performances. McNutt scored 15 points and knocked down three three-pointers and Marlow poured in 19 points and 10 rebounds, but the day would belong to ECU. ECU junior guard Gabriela Husarova hit a three with 54 seconds remaining to give the Pirates a 61-58 lead. Georgetown opted for the quick two but could not get the ball back after Marlow’s layup pulled them to within 61-60. Dec. 30 – Georgetown 78, Furman 58 In its second game of the Virginia Tech Invitational, against a weak Furman side, Georgetown saw four players reach double figures. Marlow led the way with 18 points, and senior guard Brina Pollack added 14 points and six assists. As a team, the Hoyas blocked nine shots and held Furman to a lowly 22.8 percent from the field. Jan. 4 – Brown 46, Georgetown 65 Georgetown gave Brown a cool reception to the District with a 19-point shellacking. Marlow had her way with 17 points and 15 rebounds, and McNutt added 12 points of her own. Georgetown shot 60 percent in the second half to Brown’s 26 percent. Brown’s rough week continued when it visited Foggy Bottom two days later and George Washington steamrolled the Bears 98-22. Yes, that printed correctly, 98-22.