Hoyas Make History With Winless Season

Amid a season filled with games to forget, Georgetown saved its most uninspired performance for last.

In what was an emotionally charged atmosphere, the Hoyas’ (0-11, 0-6 Patriot League) play in their 41-14 loss to Fordham was perhaps more lifeless than it has been all season. The defeat clinched the first winless season in the program’s 120-year history.

As the senior day contest marked the final time that the team’s 22 most experienced members would have the opportunity to suit up, the Hoyas had hoped to send them off in style. Instead, they were manhandled by a superior Fordham team on both sides of the ball in what Head Coach Kevin Kelly characterized as a nightmare of a game.

“We didn’t do a good job, that’s for sure,” Kelly said. “We had no magic on offense or defense.”

Despite the pre-game festivities and the large senior day crowd, Fordham controlled the momentum from the opening kickoff. On the Rams’ first play from scrimmage, senior quarterback John Skelton found junior wide receiver David Moore for a 43-yard touchdown strike to give Fordham a 7-0 edge less than a minute into the game.

On the ensuing drive, sophomore quarterback Scott Darby and the offense were unable to move the chains and were forced to punt. It was then, however, that Georgetown seemingly had an opportunity to get back into the game, as the Hoyas recovered a muffed punt at the Ram’s 17-yard line.

The Hoyas moved the ball inside the 5-yard line, but were then thwarted by Fordham’s defense and were forced to settle for a relatively easy field goal attempt. Senior kicker Jose-Pablo Buerba proceeded to hook the ball, and the Hoyas remained scoreless.

After another Fordham touchdown, the Georgetown offense finally rose to the occasion, driving deep into Ram territory. Following a 31-yard pitch and catch from Darby to freshman Brandon Floyd, the Blue and Gray were set up with yet another first-and-goal opportunity.

The Hoyas came away empty-handed once again, as Fordham held its ground on four consecutive plays to force a turnover on downs.

Had the Hoyas capitalized on either red-zone opportunity, the game might have taken a different course.

“Instead of us coming away with points it gives them the momentum, which was huge,” Kelly said.

From there, Fordham assumed complete control of the game, as Skelton threw for three more touchdowns in the first half to give the Rams an overwhelming 34-0 edge. The Fordham signal caller had perhaps one of the best halves of football in the FCS subdivision this season, completing 16-22 passes for 324 yards and four touchdowns.

To make matters worse, the Georgetown offense was as ineffective as it has been all year. Midway through the second quarter, the coaching staff decided to make a switch at quarterback, inserting freshman Isaiah Kempf. The move proved fruitless, however, as turnovers prevented the offense from answering Fordham’s ruthless aerial attack.

“It was self-inflicted,” Kelly said of the Hoyas’ lack of offensive production. “We’ve got to hang on to the football.”

The injury-plagued Hoyas showed their vulnerability in all facets of the game, particularly on the offensive line. Kempf was sacked eight times in just two and a half quarters of play, and was forced to scramble out of the pocket on virtually every pass attempt. Had it not been for Kempf’s elusiveness, the Fordham pass rush might have had an historic day.

“Every time Isaiah tried to throw the ball he took some shots,” Kelly said. “It’s tough to throw when you’re getting pressured like that.”

Although the first half left much to be desired, the Hoyas showed some resiliency in the second half. After Fordham moved the ball into scoring position following halftime, senior safety Chris Rau, who also had 7.5 tackles, made an interception in the end zone, ending the Fordham scoring threat.

Kempf then engineered a 14-play, 80-yard drive that resulted in a 1-yard touchdown run by senior slotback Robert Lane. After another Skelton touchdown pass early in the fourth quarter, Kempf found junior running back Philip Oladeji for a 1-yard touchdown pass later in the period to make the final score 41-14.

On the offensive front, Kempf threw for 170 yards and a touchdown while Oladeji led the rushing attack with his 85-yard performance. Defensively, junior linebacker Nick Parrish recorded nine tackles, including a sack. Safety Travis Mack and defensive lineman Chudi Obianwu, both seniors, also contributed heavily to the cause, combining for 15 tackles.

Despite accumulating the worst record in program history, Kelly seemed genuinely proud of the team’s effort game in and game out this season.

“They were the best group of seniors I’ve ever worked with,” he said. “Regardless of the record.”