Hoyas Sail Smoothly Despite Rough Waters

The laws of sailing are roughly akin to those of meteorology, and one rule is certain: The winds always change.

The Georgetown sailing coed team reasserted itself on the national sailing scene after failing to qualify for the national championships last week, while the women’s sailors turned in a successful weekend of racing in Rhode Island.

“Overall, from the sailing team point of view, this weekend was a success,” Head Coach Mike Callahan. “Both the coed team and the women’s team did fairly well, as well as we hoped. Overall, it was a good strong weekend.”

Led by junior Chris Behm and sophomore Carly Chamberlain, the coed squad took fifth place out of 20 teams at the Admiral’s Cup in King’s Point, N.Y., which took place Friday and Saturday. The duo was penalized in the first race, but recovered to finish in the top six spots three times, including winning the seventh race before rough weather cancelled the event.

“I think we kind of put ourselves back on the map,” Behm said. “I think last week we suffered a mental loss by not qualifying for nationals.”

Callahan, said the Admiral’s Cup was the most prestigious race of the weekend, with each team on the East Coast sending its top coed team. Yale had the top team in the East, taking the cup over St. Mary’s and Hobart and William Smith.

As a Nor’easter pounded most of New York, racing conditions were terrible. “The problem was the wind was blowing directly offshore,” Behm said. “There was no steady wind direction.”

During the women’s team’s competition at the Saturday-Sunday Dellenbaugh Intersectional in Providence, R.I., junior Blaire Herron and senior Emily Siguler led the team with their fourth place finish in the A division, while the team finished fifth overall.

Herron and Siguler started off slowly before jumping three spots in the final day of racing.

“Sunday we pulled together. It was raining, it was cold, but we put it together,” Herron said.

“We were inconsistent on Saturday. We’d have good races and we had bad ones”

At the Moody Trophy race, also from Saturday through Sunday in Providence, the women finished ninth of 15 squads but ran its second coed team of sophomores Nik Holtan and Andi Bailey in the B division. In the A division, junior Zack Kavanaugh and senior Emilie Bogrand finished 13th, while host Rhode Island won the regatta.

The coed team performed well at the North No. 2 in Ithaca, N.Y. Freshman Hugh McBride and sophomore Madeleine Maguire finished fourth in the A division, while senior Jessica Stewart and freshman Alexandra Taylor were third in the women’s B division.

Inclement weather shortened the Arrigan Memorial regatta, Georgetown’s first home competition since March 4, to two races. Navy took the regatta, and St. Mary’s came in second, trailed closely by Georgetown. The Midshipmen and Seahawks have been consistently ahead of Georgetown this season and Callahan expects them to be the Hoyas’ top rivals in next week’s qualifier for the national championship.

“It doesn’t matter to us where we finish in the top five because the top five qualify for nationals. . In the fall we won that event by quite a bit but we’ll be sailing someone different in the A division this time.”

Georgetown will race three times this weekend, at the MAISA Women’s Championship in Ithaca, the MAISA Open, to which Georgetown will play host, and the Coast Guard Academy’s Thompson Trophy Regatta in New London, Conn.

“I’m pretty confident we’ll have a good regatta this weekend,” Herron said. “As long as we keep our heads on and don’t make any huge mistakes, we shouldn’t have a problem.”