Hoyas Slip In Season Opener

Georgetown played on two different courses at this week’s William and Mary Invitational, but could not crack par on either in the opening tournament of the spring season.

The Hoyas finished at 607 (39 over par), good enough for a tie for 10th place with Drexel, Loyola and Liberty. Campbell University won the event with a seven-over 575, just three strokes better than second-place St. John’s. Detroit, Towson and Delaware rounded out the top five in the 21-team tournament. There was a large drop-off after the top two finishers – Detroit finished at 21-over, 589, 12 strokes behind the Red Storm.

The tournament was held over two courses, the 6,432 yard, par 71 Plantation and the 6,831 yard, par 71 River at the Kingsmill Club in Williamsburg, Va.

Georgetown was led by freshman Donald Thomas, who shot a five-over par 147 over the two days to finish in a tie for 14th place. Thomas had rounds of 73 and 74 and led the tournament on par three holes, shooting a two-under over those short holes.

Two seniors, Matt Busa and Tim Moynihan, finished in a crowded 13-way tie for 33rd place at a nine over par 151. Busa led Georgetown last season, often finishing top among Hoya golfers.

While most of the Hoyas were bunched far from the top of the leader board, the top finishers from Campbell overwhelmed the field, taking first and third place. Fredric Sundberg led all golfers with his five-under 137, including a tournament-low 67 in the first round. His teammate Matthew Evans finished tied for third with an even par 142.

Georgetown returns to action today at the LaCrosse Homes Invitational in Towson, Md., for a two-day event.