Hoyas Stumble Again In Sloppy Big East Loss

Hours after returning from junior guard Erin Monfre’s mother’s funeral, Marquette had itself a basketball game to play. And play they did. The game was not pretty, but the Golden Eagles grinded out a 60-55 win Wednesday night in Milwaukee, Wis. behind rebound after rebound – despite both teams failing to get going offensively. The teams combined for 49 turnovers and shot a combined .345 from the field and .273 from deep. “We know that it wasn’t pretty and we know we turned the ball over, missed shots and free throws, but we fought. We did the best we could,” Marquette Head Coach Terri Mitchell said. While Georgetown’s freshman forward Monica McNutt scored 21 points in her first start, Marquette (12-8, 4-3 Big East) out-rebounded and out-shot Georgetown (11-9, 1-6) in a game that looked like it was on its way to being a blowout after Marquette took a 13-0 lead on 6-of-9 shooting. The Hoyas, meanwhile, had nine turnovers before they scored their first points when sophomore guard Shanice Fuller hit two free throws 4:42 into the contest. Georgetown did not score a field goal until there was 13:17 remaining in the first half and the score was 14-4. Georgetown chipped away at Marquette’s lead with a McNutt three-pointer trimming the Golden Eagles’ advantage to just four with 3:05 left in the first half. The trey was one of three for McNutt in the first half. Georgetown shot 6-of-24 from the field in the first half, committed 17 turnovers and was out-rebounded 33-14 but hit the locker room down just 26-21 at halftime. Hoyas without the last name McNutt had a combined score of just 13 points on 3-of-18 shooting and 16 turnovers. Junior guard Krystal Ellis entered the game third in the conference with her 21 points per game, but was held to 14 on 4-of-13 shooting. Junior center Kelly Lam picked up the slack, though, nearly doubling her season averages with an 11-point, 14-rebound performance. Four Marquette players had at least five rebounds, and the Golden Eagles ended the game up 52-34 on the boards. Despite the heavy advantage in rebounds, Marquette was not able to capitalize and break away from the Hoyas. They shot just 22-of-61 from the field and 2-of-11 on three-pointers. Marquette made just half of its 28 free-throw attempts and let Georgetown linger, forcing just eight second-half turnovers. A distracted team with its teammate – not its opponent – at the forefront of its mind, Marquette nearly let Georgetown steal a win. After McNutt gave Georgetown a two-point cushion 13 minutes into the second half, she again played the part of almost-hero, draining a three-pointer with one minute left to bring Georgetown within three at 56-53. McNutt’s foul on Ellis 13 seconds later, however, let Marquette get back its two-possession lead. Four Georgetown fouls over the last 1:10 allowed Marquette to build its lead to 60-53. The Hoyas did not score over that 1:10 until Fuller hit a meaningless layup as the clock expired. Georgetown faces its next test tomorrow when No. 24 Syracuse visits McDonough Gymnasium for a 3 p.m. tilt. The last time the Orange visited the District, last February, they knocked off the Hoyas 65-58, dashing Georgetown’s Big East tournament hopes and stoking the flames that come with any Georgetown-‘Cuse matchup. Free Throws – The official attendance at Wednesday night’s game was 2,276. – Monica McNutt’s 21 points included shot six three-pointers. – Georgetown’s leading scorer Kieraah Marlow, who averages 14.7 points per game this season, didn’t start the game against Marquette and was only able to score five points. She also turned the ball over three times. – Georgetown allows 34.3 rebounds per game, but the Golden Eagles grabbed 52. – Georgetown’s free-throw percentage in the first half was at 100 percent, with the Hoyas making all six free throws taken. In the second half, however, they could only manage to put in 4-of-10 shots from the charity stripe, bringing the second half free throw percentage to 40 percent, and taking the overall game percentage to 62.5.