Lehigh’s Last-Second Heroics Break Georgetown Hearts

Some losses hurt more than others.

Just as the Hoyas prepared to celebrate their victory on Saturday, Lehigh scored in the final seconds to send the game into overtime, and ultimately won, 5-4.

With 25 seconds remaining in regulation and the Hoyas maintaining a 4-3 lead, Mountain Hawks junior forward Kalynn Davies capped off a virtuoso performance with her third goal of the match to send the game into overtime.

Lehigh wrapped things up with a diving shot by junior forward Kara Zweizig in the 74th minute – just four minutes into the extra period – to give the Mountain Hawks a dramatic win over the disappointed Hoyas.

Georgetown now stands at 1-4 on the season with a 0-2 record in overtime contests, but Interim Head Coach Tiffany Marsh was not fazed.

“Other than a few defensive breakdowns, the girls worked very hard and played well,” she said.

Each team got off to a cracking start with Davies scoring the first goal of the match off a penalty corner taken by Zweizig in the fifth minute. Georgetown replied with an unassisted effort by sophomore forward Lindsay Moramarco in the 17th minute, with both teams entering half-time with one goal apiece.

But the defensive struggle was not to last. The Mountain Hawks took off in the second half, as Davies scored her second goal of the match only four minutes into the period, followed by a 44th-minute unassisted strike by senior midfielder Christy Smith to give Lehigh a 3-1 lead.

Georgetown wasted no time in responding, and surprised Lehigh by scoring thrice within seven minutes to snatch the lead at 4-3. Freshman forward Micaela O’Toole scored her first collegiate goal, an unassisted score in the 54th minute.

“The first goal after halftime created the momentum which made the other goals come a lot faster,” Marsh said.

Junior midfielder Katie Lachman then scored twice in succession, first off an assist by junior forward Maggie Farrand in the 58th minute and then again unassisted in the 60th to take her season total to nine goals and to put Georgetown in a comfortable position to win.

“At halftime we talked about keeping things simple, and trying to outwork the other team. We ended up scoring three goals in seven minutes,” Marsh said.

The lead would only prove to be temporary, however, as the Georgetown defense could not hold on for the full 70 minutes. The last-minute goals by the Mountain Hawks left the Hoyas heavy-hearted with a wasted offensive performance.

“The girls worked very hard, especially getting the three goals in seven minutes,” Marsh said. “Even when [Lehigh’s fourth] goal went in, the girls were very energetic going into overtime. We just got unlucky in the end.”

Georgetown outshot Lehigh 16-9 for the match, as Lehigh goalie Jessica Miller recorded twelve saves.

“The offense did a great job of scoring goals, but Lehigh’s goalie made some good saves to stop us from scoring more,” Marsh said.

The Hoyas face a big week ahead of them as they prepare for the Big East schedule, with their next game at non-conference opponent Towson. The Tigers come into the match with a 1-3 mark on the young season. The first face-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. on Wednesday in Stevenson, Md.