Local Rents Rank Near Top in District

Both students and administrators expressed concern with the cost of housing rates off campus after a recent study listed Georgetown’s rents as one of the highest in D.C.

Georgetown ranked second in the study of the most expensive blocks in D.C., published on Forbes.com on Aug. 31, behind the estates of Rock Creek Park.

Georgetown townhouses boast price tags in the millions, with rent fluctuating anywhere from $1,100-$6,000 per month for a one bedroom, according to Chatel Real Estate President Thierry Liverman.

Charles VanSant, director of Off-Campus Student Life, said that the price of off-campus housing is near the price of off-campus housing near American, Catholic and George Washington Universities. He said, however, that many students agree to leases that are too high.

“Some landlords take advantage of the student rush,” VanSant said. “My sense is that students pay more than I would pay for housing.”

“Some students rush into the first thing they see,” agreed Raymond Danieli, assistant director of Off-Campus Housing.

Van Bloys (COL ’09), who lives off Wisconsin Avenue, said that his rent is more expensive than on-campus housing, which averaged $3,800 last semester, noting the high cost of living in Georgetown.

“I have a friend who goes to Tufts, and he pays like $500 a month. Our neighborhood is just such desirable real estate,” he said. Bloys currently pays $950 a month to his landlord, which amounts to approximately $4750 a semester.

Elizabeth Zimmerman (COL ’09) said she prefers the short walk from her Prospect Street townhouse, which she shares with six other girls.

While D.C. housing regulations limit the total number of unrelated adults to six, Zimmerman said the girls had two separate leases, making it legal.

VanSant said he is concerned with students forcing too many people in a house, breaking fire codes and risking carbon monoxide poisoning from living in basements.

In May, THE HOYA reported on several instances where Georgetown students violated the housing regulations to decrease the cost of living. D.C. housing regulations prohibit more than six unrelated individuals to live together.

The Office of Off-Campus Housing will be holding a safety fair in Red Square today from noon to 3 p.m. where they will have carbon monoxide detectors and sign-up sheets for housing safety inspections.

During the school year, the office will also host a lease workshop to help better educate students on how to intelligently select housing.

Liverman, who has worked closely with both Georgetown students and local landlords, echoed the importance of being well-informed when signing leases. “Beware there are some very good realtors and landlords out there, and there are some bad apples out there,” he said.

“Students are the market,” stressed Van Sant. “They have the power. Students need to demand reasonable rates. Students need to use their consumer power to demand good, affordable housing.”