Local Residents Warned of Intruder

An intruder entered a Georgetown student’s home and groped her Saturday morning in an incident that may involve a suspect who has committed similar assaults over the past two years, university officials said.

David Morrell, vice president for university safety, said the suspect entered the student’s 35th Street home at 6 a.m. and groped her before leaving.

Morrell said the suspect had been in the area and waited for a party in the house to end before entering through an unlocked front door.

Morrell connected this assault with a similar incident on Sept. 17 in which a male attempted to remove a student’s clothes while she was asleep.

“[We] think it’s the same guy,” Morrell said. “He’s been here for at least two years. He started as the peeping Tom looking in windows.”

Morrell added that students should lock their doors and tell their friends to be on their guard.

Morrell said that there will be a town hall meeting today to tell students what the university knows about the assailant. The meeting is meant primarily for off-campus students, he said.

Director of the Department of Pubic Safety Darryl Harrison, Vice President for Student Affairs Todd Olson and Associate Vice President for Student Affairs Jeanne Lord are expected to attend the meeting.

Morrell said that although the Metropolitan Police Department and DPS are working together on the investigation, he didn’t know if MPD officials would attend the meeting.

“There’s a lot of energy in the investigation,” Morrell said. “We can catch him if we let students know who he is.”