Local Rivals, Infrequent Foes

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. – During player introductions here at the Milk House, Maryland fans let the Georgetown faithful hear it.

But that was practically the only time all evening when the cheering edge tipped towards the Terrapins. All night long, it was the smaller, but expectably more excited, Hoyas’ section that made all the noise.

In the first half, with the Hoyas ahead 24-11, the Georgetown section started a resounding “defense” cheer. At the first TV timeout of the second half, after the Hoyas pushed their lead to 52-26, “Let’s Go Hoyas” filled the arena air.

And with 20 seconds remaining, the Georgetown contingent was at its loudest, serenading the team with “Hoya Saxa” and “We are Georgetown” chants.

Equally as inspired as team’s effort on the court was the fans’ effort off of it. Perhaps the highlight? A contingent of middle-aged men turning towards the Maryland fans section and waving goodbye with over seven minutes still remaining.

Before the game, Georgetown fans seemed excited, if a bit apprehensive, about the impending matchup.

“I’m happy to get a chance to play Maryland again,” long-time Hoyas fan Joe Lonardo (CAS ’69) said.

“It scares me a little,” said long-time Verizon Center timekeeper John Tuccillo, a 1967 graduate. “If we lose, we’re behind the eight ball for a year.”

After Georgetown’s thorough dismantling of the Terrapins, Tuccillo won’t have to worry.

uch of the pregame talk centered upon how infrequently the two D.C.-area teams have played. After matching up almost every year between 1934 and 1980, Maryland and Georgetown have met just twice since 1993.

According to several media reports, Maryland Head Coach Gary Williams wants a game played at the Terrapins’ Comcast Center before beginning a home-and-home with the Hoyas. Though the 1993 matchup was billed as a neutral-site game (with tickets and gate proceeds split among the institutions), some, apparently including Williams, consider it to have been a Georgetown home game because it was played at US Airways Arena, which was the Hoyas’ home court at the time.

Following Sunday’s contest, Williams spoke briefly of his team’s history with the Hoyas.

“We played, I guess 2001 was the last time,” he said. “We played them in ’93 at their place and then we played them tonight. So I mean I think they’re both proven programs; They play in two great conferences and you know it’s – there’s a lot of things you have to do with scheduling. We play Michigan – we have to play that game [for the ACC-Big Ten Challenge]. Georgetown has their games that they feel they have to play. It is the way it is.”

Now, Georgetown fans seem to be in favor of playing Maryland more regularly. Under the right conditions.

“I think it would be a good idea,” Tuccillo said. “But you know what? Unless we get the right terms, there’s no reason to push it.”

“If the terms are right, I’d like to see a home and home at least every four years,” Lonardo said, adding, however, that Maryland is no longer one of the five teams he’d most like to see the Hoyas play, putting Duke and several Big East schools on that list.

Others were more unequivocal.

“It’s time to get over it and go back to playing,” said Kathy Kinder, a 1967 graduate.

“It has to happen, it should happen, every year,” added Chris Shotwell, a 1978 alum. “As opposed to a game against, say, Drexel.”

Several Maryland fans in the arena said they would welcome Georgetown’s addition to the BB&T Classic, held annually at Verizon Center. That event typically features local teams such as Maryland, George Washington and Navy.

“I want to say it’s an athletic and educational benefit to DC,” said one Maryland fan, Tony Medoro, who was seated in the front row and sporting a black and red windbreaker.

Added Lisa Medora, a 2005 Maryland graduate: “It could be an incredible rivalry if they started playing.”

ore coverage:

Photo album

Game recap

In-game blog