Marriage Referendum Rejected

On Nov. 17 the D.C. Board of Elections and Ethics rejected the Marriage Initiative of 2009, a proposed ballot measure calling for D.C. voters to define marriage as strictly between a man and a woman.

According to the D.C. Board of Elections and Ethics memorandum opinion and order, “The Board now concludes that the [Marriage Initiative of 2009] does not present a proper subject of initiative because it would authorize discrimination prohibited under the Human Rights Act.”

Rev. Harry R. Jackson Jr., Melvin Dupree, Rev. Anthony Evans, Rev. Walter E. Fauntroy, Robert King, James Silver and Rev. Dale E. Wafer filed the ballot initiative with D.C. Board of Election and Ethics on Sept. 1. Jackson and his supporters filed their initiative in an effort to allow District residents the opportunity to vote on the legality of same-sex marriage.

The Religious Freedom and Civil Marriage Equality Amendment Act of 2009, the proposed bill that would allow the marriage of same-sex couples in D.C., has received support from both a majority of the D.C. Council membership and Mayor Adrian Fenty.

Jackson and seven other supporters have filed an appeal to the D.C. Board of Elections and Ethics in D.C. Superior Court and continue to ask for a public referendum on the issue of same-sex marriage, reported The Washington Post.

The D.C. Council is set to hold the first of two votes on the same-sex marriage bill Dec. 1. Once passed by the D.C. Council, the bill must be signed by the mayor and reviewed by Congress. “