Monroe Controls the Action on National Stage

Image Contributor
Sophomore center Greg Monroe set career-highs with 24 points and 15 rebounds as No. 15 Georgetown beat No. 22 Butler in the Jimmy V Classic at Madison Square Garden.

NEW YORK – Finally.

Led by Greg Monroe, Georgetown showed it can win a big-time game on a big-time court against a big-time opponent.

onroe dominated the paint with career-highs of 24 points and 15 rebounds, and the Hoyas led almost wire-to-wire to beat the Butler Bulldogs 72-65 in the Jimmy V Classic at Madison Square Garden.

The Hoyas went to Monroe early and often, and the Bulldogs had no answer for the sophomore center.

“[Monroe] was playing with a real authoritative presence,” Butler Head Coach Brad Stevens said afterward. “How many guys average 14.8 points and their [previous] career-high was 21 points? You talk about consistent. That’s consistent. He’s a player.”

onroe took 20 shots – over 40 percent of Georgetown’s total field goals – and earned 10 trips to the free throw line.

Still, it was Monroe’s all-around play that made his game stand out. On a night when Georgetown’s Julian Vaughn, Henry Sims, Hollis Thompson and Austin Freeman all picked up four fouls trying to keep Butler forward Gordon Hayward, who also scored 24, in check, Monroe played solid defense and stayed on the floor for 38 minutes. He grabbed 11 defensive rebounds and added two blocks.

Perhaps most impressive, Monroe only had one turnover – the fewest of any Georgetown starter – despite his many touches.

“Greg is an unselfish player, and we have an unselfish team. We have a lot of people in that locker room that can score,” Head Coach John Thompson III said. “The number of shots Greg takes is not important in this group. It’s how we play, and if they’re the right shots.”

Tonight, they were the right shots.

onroe’s presence in the paint drew the attention of the entire Butler team, opening up the floor for the rest of the Hoyas. Junior guard Austin Freeman scored a season-high 18 points on 4-of-5 shooting from beyond the arc.

“[Monroe] gets everybody else open,” Freeman said.

Though Butler is considered a mid-major, the 22nd-ranked Bulldogs presented a stiff challenge for the No. 15 Hoyas. Butler has been to the NCAA tournament three straight years, and Stevens compiled a 56-10 record in his first two seasons at the helm.

Butler plays in legendary Hinkle Fieldhouse, where part of the movie Hoosiers was filmed. One has to wonder if Thompson took out a tape measure before the game to prove to his team that the court at Madison Square Garden is no different than any other gym’s.

The last time the Hoyas played in the world’s most famous arena, they put forth a lackluster effort in a loss to St. John’s in the first round of the Big East tournament. One week before, the Hoyas left the Garden with an overtime loss to the Red Storm in the regular season.

Georgetown came out prepared for tonight’s test. The Hoyas shot 53.8 percent in the first half and took an eight-point lead into the locker room. Allaying any concerns about second-half collapses that still lingered from last season, Georgetown quickly stretched the lead to 17 in the second frame and controlled the game from there.

The Hoyas will soon have another chance to prove that this year’s team will not trip on the same pitfalls as last season. They travel to Anaheim, Calif., on Saturday to play No. 17 Washington, the reigning Pac 10 champions, in the John Wooden Classic.

“This week was put together by design. It was not an accident,” Thompson said. “This is a week like a league week. Once conference play starts, you’re going to play a terrific team on Tuesday [or] Wednesday and you’re going to play another terrific team on Saturday.”

Thompson spoke about managing the emotional roller coaster that comes with consistently playing quality opponents.

“If you lose today, you can’t think you’re the worst person in the world. You have to get ready for Saturday,” he said. “If you win today, you’re not the best person in the world. There’s still a long way to go.”

Against Washington and when Big East play starts, the Hoyas would do well to go back to their star center. Even when Monroe shoots under 50 percent from the field (9-of-20 tonight), he can dominate a game and create chances for his teammates.

onroe has a simpler game plan in mind: “As far as I’m concerned, the goal this year is to win the next game.”

Follow us on [Twitter](https://www.twitter.com/thehoyasports) and be sure to keep up with all the action at [The Hoya Paranoia](https://blogs.thehoya.com/paranoia)”