More Than 700 Wait on GU Housing List

For the second year in a row, the university expects to be able to provide housing to students willing to stay on the housing waitlist through the summer, a university administrator said earlier this week.

Karen Frank, vice president for facilities and student housing, said that her office expects to offer housing to everyone still on the waitlist by the end of the summer, since most students on the waitlist will likely remove themselves after finding off-campus living arrangements.

Over 720 students are currently on the waitlist, Frank said. That includes the 464 students not granted housing eligibility plus students who did not apply for eligibility before the deadline last month. Over 75 percent of sophomores and juniors who applied for eligibility received it, according to numbers provided by Frank.

Forty spots for students on the waitlist opened this weekend, after 10 groups of four students failed to select housing during last weekend’s selection period for apartments and university townhouses, Frank said.

Frank said no one will be removed from the waitlist until after the upperclassmen draft for residence hall rooms and townhouses that hold less than four people on Dec. 2.

Margie Bryant, associate vice president for auxiliary services, said that students placed on the waitlist are signing leases for off-campus housing earlier every year, although she said that she has not noticed an increase in the number of students residing off campus. Students feel pressure to secure a residence before other students, she said, leading them to sign leases six months or more in advance of their move-in date.

“It has become part of the culture at Georgetown. Seniors pass it on to juniors. I don’t know why they insist on doing it,” she said.

Bryant said that students should wait longer before committing to off-campus housing.

“Landlords know that the students get anxious, so they can keep the prices high,” she said. “You will find housing. . We don’t have a housing crunch.”

Andra Mocanu (COL ’08), who is number 450 on the waitlist, said that she expects to receive university housing before the end of the school year because most students above her will take themselves off the waitlist.

“Most people don’t want to wait that long,” she said. “It’s ridiculously stressful.”

Lauren Weeks (COL ’08), whose number is in the 360s, said that she is confident that she will make it off the waitlist, but has off-campus housing lined up just in case.

“There are so many freshmen that I think not as many people will get off,” she said. “Some people are really mad about it.”