Mourning May Have Kidney Disease

Former Georgetown basketball standout Alonzo Mourning (CAS ’92) was discovered to have a rare kidney ailment at the start of the Miami Heat’s training camp last week.

Mourning, who has yet to speak publicly about his illness, will consult his doctors and should receive a final diagnosis next week.

Having returned from helping the U.S. basketball team win the gold medal at the Sydney Olympics, Mourning was notified of the kidney disorder during a routine physical during training camp. He was expected to lead a revamped Heat team to the Eastern Conference championships. Coming off an impressive season, Mourning was named the league’s Defensive Player of the Year for the second consecutive straight time.

Mourning’s foster mother, Fannie Threet, said that he had a rare kidney ailment that might need a transplant. The cause of the disorder or the long-term conditions is unknown, but Mourning does have a history of taking anti-inflammatory medication to relieve knee pain. His ailment comes a little more than a year after San Antonio Spurs’ forward Sean Elliott received a kidney transplant for a disorder. Elliott also took medication for sore knees too.

Mourning remained in Miami as the Heat lost to the New Jersey Nets, 88-82, in its first preseason game. It is still uncertain whether Mourning will return to play this season.