NCAA Hoops in Full Swing

Image Contributor
Andy Rautins has been integral to Syracuse’s torrid start to the 2009-2010 season, which includes wins over UNC and Cal.

This week, we will begin our regular format, with one thought on a national development, one thought on a Big East story, and one thought on the Georgetown Hoyas. So let’s get started!

I. The gap between UNC and Duke continues to widen.

High school senior forward Harrison Barnes, the No. 2 overall player in the 2010 class according to Rivals.com, spurned Duke and committed to UNC on Nov. 13. This marks the third time in recent years that Duke has fiercely pursued one of the top players in the nation and come up short, as Brandan Wright chose the Tar Heels over the Blue Devils in 2006 and Greg Monroe shocked the Duke faithful by joining Georgetown in 2008. Arguably, the only true “elite” recruit Duke has signed since 2006 is Kyle Singler, while UNC has nabbed Wright, Ty Lawson, current freshman John Henson and now Barnes.

Not only are the Tar Heels besting the Blue Devils on the recruiting front, but they are dominating them on the court as well. Since 2005, UNC has made four Elite Eights, three Final Fours and won two national titles. Duke has zero Elite Eight appearances in that same time span, and needless to say, no Final Four berths or national titles. Head-to-head, UNC has defeated Duke in 7 out of 10 games over the last five years.

The talent differential between the two schools is clear, as UNC has produced six lottery picks in the NBA draft since 2005, while Duke has only produced three.

As Barnes’ choice demonstrates, this storied rivalry is becoming increasingly one-sided, and it is likely that the Cameron Crazies will continue to hear the gloating of Tar Heel fans for several seasons to come.

II. The Orange are red-hot.

After Syracuse lost its top three scorers from last season, many people – including myself – assumed that the Orange would experience a significant drop-off this year.

Judging by the early returns, that assumption was sorely mistaken.

Syracuse has won its first four games by an average margin of 28 points, including blowouts of Pac-10 favorite California and ACC favorite North Carolina at Madison Square Garden.

Orange forward Wesley Johnson, a transfer from Iowa State who averaged 12 points and 4 rebounds per game for the Cyclones in 2007-08, has taken his game to a whole new level. So far, he is averaging 17 points, eight rebounds, three blocks and three steals per game while shooting 57 percent from the field and 47 percent from behind the arc.

Point guard Scoop Jardine, who was forced to sit out last year due to a fractured leg, has ably filled the shoes of Jonny Flynn, the heart and soul of last year’s team. Jardine is averaging 12 points and six assists per game, while only turning it over twice per contest. Jardine’s backcourt mate, Andy Rautins, has been an absolute pest defensively, coming up with 17 steals in his first four games with seven alone against UNC.

The Orange have only one tough game left on their schedule – at Florida on Dec. 10 – before they begin conference play, meaning they will enter January with a huge amount of confidence and momentum. Conference favorites Villanova and West Virginia better watch out, because this Syracuse team is very dangerous.

III. Who will be Georgetown’s fifth man?

Greg Monroe, Chris Wright, Austin Freeman and Jason Clark have all been very solid so far, with each averaging over 11 points per game in the Hoyas’ first three contests. However, no one else on Georgetown’s roster has more than 11 points total so far. (Henry Sims and Julian Vaughn each have 11.) Monroe, Wright, Freeman and Clark are combining to score 83 percent of Georgetown’s points.

Over the course of the season, this type of imbalance is simply unsustainable. It essentially means that all four players will have to have a good game to knock off a strong opponent, and the odds of that happening consistently are slim.

For this team to live up to the hype and finish toward the top of the Big East standings, a fifth Hoya will have to emerge as a consistent scorer.

Highly touted freshman Hollis Thompson probably has the best shot to become that player. Having practiced with the Hoyas since the spring, Thompson knows the offense and has been rewarded by Head Coach John Thompson III, playing more than 19 minutes per game. He has struggled a bit with his outside shot so far, missing his first five attempts from three-point range, but if he can find his shooting rhythm, he could be the missing piece that will help the Hoyas’ offense soar to greater heights.

Parimal Garg is a junior in the College. Three-Point Play appears in every other Tuesday issue of Hoya Sports.”