New GOCard Strengthens Security on GU Campus

Image Contributor
The GOCard office began issuing the simpler, redesigned card this summer.

A white background has replaced the picturesque skyline that once marked all main campus GOCards in an announced redesign effort by the GOCard Office. Returning students will find that the old design – known for its horizontal orientation and university snapshot – is no longer issued. All new students will receive the latest edition of the GOCard, which is vertically oriented with a white backdrop and faint university emblem.

While locations of the cardholder’s photograph, personal information and expiration date have all shifted, the information displayed is unchanged.

According to an e-mail sent mid-summer by the GOCard office, although the old design will no longer be issued, both the new and old designs are valid across campus. Students who currently have functioning GOCards will not be required to get a new card.

“New cards are being provided to new incoming students or as replacements only. The replacement procedure for existing cards will remain unchanged,” the e-mail said. “Cards are replaced free of charge if the old card is returned and if it must be replaced because of normal wear and tear or due to a change in status, title, name or other information printed on the card.”

For students who need to replace a damaged or lost GOCard, the charge remains at $25.

The impetus for the design change was to allow for easier identification of the cardholder.

“Our environment of heightened awareness and continued safety improvements prompted the Office of University Safety to desire a new card. The old card does not visually present cardholder information well enough. In order to improve the identification function of the GOCard, the size of the photo and the font size of cardholder information [were] increased,” said director of GOCard Services Roman Fahrmann in an e-mail.

Fahrmann said that the new design was evaluated by the GOCard committee and various GOCard stakeholders. These stakeholders include the Office of University Safety, Office of the University Registrar, Office of the Provost, Medical Center, Law Center, University Information Services, Division of Student Affairs, Office of Student Housing and Auxiliary Services, Andy Pino, director of media relations in the Office of Public Affairs, said in an e-mail.

Student reaction to the new design has been lukewarm at best with most students lamenting the loss of the Georgetown skyline on the face of the GOCard.

“I think they’re pretty sterile and dull. They don’t really have anything emblematic of Georgetown on them. I think it’s [admirable] they’re adding practical elements to the new GOCards, but I don’t see why it has to come at the expense of being somewhat creative,” Chris Dodge (SFS ’10) said.

“I like the old one better, but I think it’s just because I’m nostalgic. The new one looks more official and streamlined. I always thought it was kind of weird that ours’ had the university in the background but now I kind of like that about it. I’ve had mine since the first day of freshman year and I really don’t want to lose it so I have to get a new one,” Sean De Lacey (COL ’10) said.”