No Students File for ANC Seat

A vacant Advisory Neighborhood Commission seat in a student-populated district is expected to be filled by Georgetown resident John Lever this May because he is the only person that filed papers for the position.

Commissioner Jason Hurdle, who defeated Eric Lashner (COL ’05) and another resident in the Fall 2002 elections, resigned last month leaving the open seat. This prompted speculation of a rematch between a resident and student candidate for the position in a special election this spring.

Campaign Georgetown, however, was unable to find a suitable student candidate who fulfilled the requirements and was willing to run a campaign.

Campaign Georgetown has been integral in electing students to the ANC since 1996 and this is the first time that the organization has failed to find a student to run for a vacant seat.

“I was quite shocked that I was the only one to go for the seat,” Lever said. “I’m just a simple man trying to help out in any way that I can, to see if I can improve how people communicate with the government.”

According to Latoya Carter, voter services assistant at the D.C. Board of Elections and Ethics, the protest period to assess his petition for office runs until next Monday. During this period, constituents can challenge the validity of the 30 required signatures on his petition in this timeframe.

Assuming there are no problems, Carter said that Lever will have to wait on a resolution by a council member who will then appoint him to the position.

All commissioners serve two-year terms that expire at the end of the year. Elections for all seats will be held during the November general elections.

Mike Glick (COL ’05), the sole student commission, said that Lever would be sworn in by Councilman Jack Evans at the May 4 ANC meeting. Glick was optimistic about the prospective commissioner, calling him “very receptive and sensible.”

“I’m confident he will do a fine job representing all his constituents, whether they live inside or outside Healy Gates,” Glick said. “This guy has a good head on his shoulders and would be fine to represent student and university issues.”

The ANC represents residents of seven districts in the Georgetown area. The district seat that was vacated, 2E02, includes Henle Village and Darnall Hall as well as parts of Georgetown between Volta Place, R Street, Q Street and Reservoir Road.

Lever, a friend of Hurdle’s, has lived in the neighborhood for three and half years. He hopes to make improvements with parking procedures, garbage collection and street repairs among other things.

Lever is also aware that he has many student constituents and has said that he plans to act as a “liaison” between students and residents.

“I think Georgetown is a blend of very different people,” Lever said. “I hope to make Georgetown a better place for those who visit, the students who live here and the voters who deserve a great [neighborhood] to live in.”