OBITUARY Former Golf Standout Dies in N.Y. Attacks

OBITUARY Former Golf Standout Dies in N.Y. Attacks By Liz cDonald Hoya Staff Writer

Courtesy Ye Domesday Booke Thomas Galvin

Long after his graduation, Thomas Galvin’s (GSB ’90) legacy endures for friends and family at Georgetown University. Based in talent and accomplishment, he left an impression so strong that it became the cornerstone of the men’s golf program – a team to which Galvin dedicated himself forfour years.

“Every team that I have coached fashions itself somehow, some way to the spirit of Tommy and the way that he went about his business,” Men’s Golf Head Coach Tom Hunter said. “To do things the `Galvin way’ was not something that came overnight. We all needed to go to the lesson tee and make it perfect – only Tommy had the secret for perfection.”

Hunter said Galvin’s pursuit for excellence extended to his academic, professional and personal lives as well. As a senior vice president and corporate bond broker at Cantor Fitzgerald, Galvin was among the untold number of individuals who lost their lives in the World Trade Center Sept. 11.

“I’m confident that he never gave up that morning,” said Glen Mustion (GSB ’90), a close friend of Galvin. “Until the end, I’m sure that he was trying to organize a way out of that building – that was his true nature.”

Mustion and Galvin served together as co-captains of the men’s golf team from 1989 to 1990. “Tommy was everything a captain could and should be,” Mustion said. “He had so much love for the program and for its future.”

Galvin, 32, was a native of Greenwich, Conn. During his high-school career, he captained the Greenwich High Golf Team and was named All-State and All-County Scholastic Golf in 1986. After Galvin obtained his degree in finance from Georgetown, friend Joseph Shea (GSB ’76) attracted him to the investment firm Cantor Fitzgerald, located in the north tower of the World Trade Center. Shea, the senior executive managing director and a partner of the firm, also died in the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.

“Tommy always wanted to work in finance, and certainly wanted to be near his family in the New York area,” Mustion said.

Galvin is survived by his parents, John and Diverra Galvin, his sisters Lynn Galvin and Kathy Callahan, and his brother, John Galvin, Jr.

The family has asked that all donations be made to the Thomas E. Galvin Memorial Golf Scholarship, sponsored by the Georgetown University Athletic Department.