O’Donovan Discusses Future of Georgetown

For the second consecutive year, GUSA presented University President Leo J. O’Donovan, S.J.’s, in his State of the School Address in McNeir Hall on Tuesday evening to discuss the state of the university.

GUSA President Tawan Davis (COL ’01) introduced O’Donovan, saying, “This is a marvelous opportunity to look at all the changes going on around us, as doing this clarifies what Georgetown means for all of us.”

Indeed, O’Donovan discussed the changes facing many facets of student, faculty and campus life at the university.

Beginning by reading the newly issued mission statement, O’Donovan discussed where Georgetown currently is and his vision for the institution.

According to O’Donovan, four points are central to the integrity of Georgetown’s future: “the care of the physical foundation of school, bolstering the school’s financial foundation, strengthening the foundation of our religious identity, and strengthening academic foundation.”

O’Donovan said that finalizing the MedStar deal and extending the Third Century Campaign from $1 billion to $750 million, fortified and secured all four of these foundations.

Key issues addressed included the future of town-gown relations between the university and its neighbors, the Southwest Quadrangle project, which will include a new dormitory, dining hall and Jesuit Community and other issues pertinent to students.

A question-and-answer session at the end of the address allowed students the opportunity to address specific questions.

Members of the student body asked questions regarding the future use of the New South dining hall and old Jesuit community space after the completion of the Southwest Quad project. Georgetown’s focus for the future of all faith traditions on campus, the cut in the Student Affairs Committee budget, the resurrection of the pub on campus, and also addressed whether or not Georgetown was seeking to improve its rankings in, most notably, US News and World Report.

O’Donovan stated that most of these issues fell under the power of Vice President for Student Affairs Juan C. Gonzalez, who he called “a nationally recognized leader with true concern for [students’] well being.” O’Donovan did address each question at length, yet the response to the query about national rankings was more noticeable than other answers he gave. O’Donovan said, “Georgetown does not have a plan to improve its rankings.” Instead, the president stated that he was focused on “improving the quality of our students, faculty and campus,” and alluded that magazines simply make annual rankings in order to bolster sales.

Brian McCabe (COL ’02) asked O’Donovan if he could discuss the presidential search committee’s findings and for information on his upcoming retirement plans. Regarding the choice of the next president, O’Donovan replied, “I can’t tell you because I don’t know,” and responding to his own future after retirement, lightheartedly responded, “I will lie on a beach somewhere and think about it.”

Provost Dorothy Brown and Gonzalez, among other school officials, attended the open meeting.