Pedestrian Fatally Struck by GUTS Bus

A pedestrian was killed when she was struck by a GUTS bus this morning at the intersection of North Nash Street and Lee Highway in Rosslyn, Va.

Arlington County Police Department spokesperson Matt Martin said that rescue officials responded to a call at 9:50 a.m. The 72-year-old female pedestrian was pronounced dead upon police arrival to the scene.

“The bus was turning from Nash onto Lee Highway going eastbound and at some point during that turn, the pedestrian was struck by the bus,” Martin said.

Martin said that officials would conduct an investigation to determine what happened and who was at fault.

The victim’s identity was being withheld pending the notification of her family, Martin said. The name of the bus driver has not been released.

The accident forced the closure of Lee Highway eastbound between Rhodes Street and Fort Myer Drive and the closure of Nash Street between the north and southbound lanes of Lee Highway.

No charges have been filed and Martin said that the investigation is continuing. Arlington Police have requested that anyone with information regarding the incident contact Detective William Golab at 703.228.4172.