Peppy Prez Symbol of School Spirit

Name: Tommy WiederholdActivity: Pep Band

Position: President and Student Conductor

Hometown: Bridgewater, N.J.

School and Year: COL ’09

Double Major: Math and Economics

What made you want to join the pep band?

I was always interested in music; I played in my high school marching band and was the drum major my senior year. I hoped to continue playing some kind of band instrument or be in a band in college, so I decided to join the pep band.

When did you pick up your first instrument?

I first began playing alto saxophone in fourth grade and continued on through high school. I played for the first few years here, but noticing that we were really short on people on the percussion section, I picked up some cymbals and have been playing them for the past few years.

What other instruments do you play?

I also play the piano – I’d be a little spotty right now though. I could dabble probably in other instruments if you gave me time.

What’s one instrument that you can’t play but wish you did?

You know what? I’ve actually recently been wanting to play guitar. There’s no guitars currently in pep band so it probably wouldn’t be a great setting for that, but just taking lessons and picking up some songs – that would be kind of cool.

Do you think that’s the influence maybe of Guitar Hero or other musical video games?

That might have some effect. . I think my interest was there before the recent boom in Guitar Hero and Rockstar, but I’m not opposed to playing them, of course.

What athletic events does the Pep Band perform at?

We usually play at the men’s football home games in the fall, then we move on to the women’s and men’s home basketball games in the spring. Now, as for after the season ends, the band is also invited to play at postseason traveling tournament events; that includes the Big East tournament in New York City, as well as, in recent years, the NCAA tournament. We played in Raleigh, N.C., Dayton, Ohio, East Rutherford, N.J., Atlanta, Ga., at the Final Four two years ago – in general, just all over the country.

What’s your favorite game you’ve played at home?

y favorite game at the Verizon Center would have to be the Duke game – the infamous Duke game – when we won 87-84, I believe. Just the hype, and taking down the No. 1 team in the country. It was just a great game to be at, never mind to play at.

And what’s your favorite game you traveled away to play at?

It would have to be the North Carolina game at the Meadowlands when we won to make it to the Final Four two years ago.

Did you run out onto the court after the Duke game?

The student section definitely emptied out, but unfortunately due to our large instruments . we’re asked to stay in our section after the game, even if we do feel a general urge to run onto the court.

Has there ever been a time when you’ve wished you didn’t have to worry about your instrument during a game so you could go crazy?

Luckily with the cymbals, it doesn’t really factor in too much – I go crazy all the time.

What’s your favorite song to play at the games?

Some of the more traditional songs I like playing are “Carry on Wayward Son”; it has more of a rock feel. There’s also “Final Countdown,” and we even do a little bit of “You Can Call Me Al” with a very sweet flute and piccolo soli section.

Booey’s or Wisey’s?

It would have to be Wisey’s. The California Chicken Sandwich is my staple.

– Photo and interview by Hijab Shah