Players to Watch

Dominic Randolph

Co-captaining the Crusaders for the second straight year, the 2007 Patriot League offensive player of the year enters his senior season with high expectations. Randolph’s impressive résumé has given him consideration for the Walter Payton Award, given to the national player of the year in the NCAA Football Championship Subdivision. The 6-foot-3, 223-pound quarterback is also the NCAA FCS active leader in passing yards per game (292.0), as well as the all-time leader in completion percentage at Holy Cross (61.6).

Randolph has posed a formidable threat to opposing defenses throughout his tenure at Holy Cross. His explosive potential (10 games with over 300 yards passing) is further complemented by his consistency, as he finished his junior year with 30 touchdown passes and only eight interceptions. In 2007 Randolph went 199 straight pass attempts without an interception, a streak spanning five games. His 404-yard, six-touchdown performance against Brown last year demonstrates Randolph’s capability to dominate a game.

Randolph’s ability is not limited to throwing, as his mobility provides an additional headache for opposing defenses. Last year, Randolph rushed 51 times for 137 yards and four scores.

The Hoyas must find a way to limit the Crusaders’ prolific passing attack if they are to improve upon last year’s 55-0 loss to Holy Cross, a game which Randolph completed 22-of-33 passes for 302 yards and two touchdowns.

arcus Rodriguez

Highly touted out of high school, the Peoria, Ariz., native enters his junior season looking to assert his defensive prowess. The 6-foot-1, 217-pound linebacker has provided the Crusaders with a stout threat on defense, clogging the running attack of the opposition. Rodriguez compiled a team-best 69 tackles last season, helping Holy Cross achieve a record of 7-4.

Rodriguez has further established himself as a defensive force this year, posting 12 tackles in two games, including an impressive 10-tackle performance, including a sack, in the Crusaders’ brutal 25-24 loss last week against Harvard.

In last year’s victory against Georgetown, Rodriguez managed six tackles and a fumble recovery, en route to the shutout. This week the Hoyas’ offense must make sure to block Rodriguez and prevent him from wreaking havoc all over the field.

– Lance Pauker