Porn Star for La. Senate

The upcoming 2010 Congressional midterm elections could be getting a lot hotter for Sen. David Vitter (R-La.), as his past comes back to haunt him in the form of adult-film star Stormy Daniels a.k.a. Stormy Waters.

After an advertisement asking for a female member of the adult industry to run for Vitter’s seat appeared on Craigslist last year, an online initiative calling itself “Draft Stormy” has urged Daniels, perhaps not so innocuously, to battle for Vitter’s seat.

Though not affiliated with the adult star, the Web site encourages visitors to “Join the Storm” and describes Daniels’ qualifications. According to the site, Daniels’ entrepreneurial experience in the entertainment industry, as well as her outspokenness on protecting children from age-inappropriate material are indications of her promising future in politics.

Daniels may vie for Vitter’s seat, which could be in jeopardy in 2010 as a result of his involvement in the “D.C. Madam” prostitution ring. Vitter’s number appeared on a list of the Madam’s phone records which was released to the press in 2007.

In an interview with Max Blumenthal of The Daily Beast, Daniels berated Vitter’s hypocrisy and promised to bring it up in her campaign. Currently, she said, she is torn between two campaign slogans, either “Screwing People Honestly” or “Whipping Louisiana’s Economy Into Shape.”

Stormy said she hopes to at least use her name to encourage people to register to vote and replace Vitter, Daniels said in a CNN interview with Rick Sanchez.

“If they think I’m a better choice, what does that say?” Daniels said in the interview.

But for more fervent supporters, what might be the most discouraging news is Daniels’ reluctance toward taking the pay cut accompanying the Senate seat over her current position in the adult entertainment industry.

The Louisiana Democratic Party has already denied any connection to the Web site.