Reimagine Georgetown Winners Announced

This year’s Reimagine Georgetown Grant winning proposals were Georgetown Alternative Music Series for the $5,000 grant, D.C. Students Speak for $3,000, Saxa Feast for $2,000 and Diversability for $500.

In its attempt to foster student initiative to improve the undergraduate experience at Georgetown in creative ways, the Reimagine Georgetown Grant provides students, faculty and staff with the opportunity to apply for a grant of up to $10,000, to be used to fund a creative initiative to better the campus community.

The Reimagine Georgetown Web site describes the contest as “a student partnership dedicated to empowering individuals to improve the undergraduate experience in innovative ways.”

The winner of the highest grant, GAMS, was proposed by Daniel Alexander (MSB ’11) and seeks to bring more concerts to Georgetown’s campus. It will use a team of student concert promoters to put on a show featuring local bands, hip-hop artists and DJs at the Leavey Center’s Bulldog Alley.

“This idea will give students a new option for experiencing live concerts: something they clearly need,” Alexander said. “This idea will make Georgetown more of a center for cultural expression and will allow local artists to share their music with the student body.”

Applications for the grant were due by midnight on Oct. 31. Applications, which included questions as well as a general budget proposal, were to be submitted via e-mail.

On Nov. 9, the first set of proposals that would advance onto a final round of interviews was announced, and final round interviews were conducted from Nov. 11 to 13.  

The application for the grant requested a description of the initiative being proposed, the amount of funding needed – from $500 to $10,000 – and an explanation of how the idea would “reimagine Georgetown” – that is, how the proposal would better Georgetown’s campus environment.

Winners were announced on Monday, Nov. 16.”