Seniors Present Over $34,000 for Scholarship Fund

As the Class of 2008 commences its final weekend at Georgetown, the Senior Class Gift ensures a legacy of philanthropy within the Georgetown community.

At Senior Convocation yesterday, the SCC gave $34,273.12 in contributions to the Georgetown Fund, said Ben Jarrett, assistant director of the Office of Advancement. Last-minute donations, however, are still filtering in before graduation.

Founded last year, the Georgetown Fund directly supports undergraduate development through scholarships, financial support to attract and retain faculty, and contributions to student life by supporting campus organizations, like the Student Activities Commission.

According to Jarrett, 55 percent of the senior class donated to this year’s gift.

“Getting over 50 percent of the college class to give to a philanthropic event like the Georgetown Fund is a great success,” said Patrick Sivertsen (COL ’08), who co-chaired the Committee with Harrison Beacher (COL ’08).

Last year, the SCC donated $64,000 to the Georgetown Fund, the most money raised by any Senior Class Gift Campaign.

“Participation was tough because we weren’t angling for a tangible gift; it was a more austere campaign,” Sivertsen said.

The SCC began fundraising efforts in December, reaching out to seniors in class and through events like the Empty-Your-GoCard Day held on April 24.

“From the faculty down, people have recognized what we’re doing,” Sivertsen said.

“We ran a very different campaign from every other year [before us]. More than anything, we were trying to raise awareness for what the Georgetown Fund has to offer,” added Sivertsen.

Despite its main focus on contributing to the Georgetown Fund, the committee also chose a tangible gift for all members of the Georgetown community and visitors to campus to share.

“We’re doing a complete renovation of the campus maps,” Sivertsen said. The idea was formulated after Sivertsen noticed several of the maps around campus were outdated, leaving visitors puzzled.

“I remember walking around a couple of times and seeing people who were clearly not members of the Georgetown community trying to find their way around campus. One map listed a field where there is now a building,” he said.

The maps have already been purchased, according to Sivertsen, and should be in place by the fall.

“The biggest coin of success is to understand that your campaign does not begin and end with your graduation,” Sivertsen said. “What you are trying to do is build a legacy of philanthropy in your class.”