Seven Cases of Swine Flu Confirmed in the District

Seven cases of H1N1 influenza A, commonly known as swine flu, were confirmed in Washington, D.C., according to the District of Columbia Department of Health. The district awaits the results of three more probable cases from the Centers of Disease Control and Prevention lab.

The three confirmed cases announced by the DOH earlier this week do not represent new cases, but those that had been previously announced as probable cases.

Five of the suspected 10 cases are students from The George Washington University. According to a statement released by GWU, three of the students tested positive for H1N1 influenza and the results for the remaining two students are pending confirmation from the CDC.

“All five students had been promptly moved to private rooms in a residence hall to limit exposure to other students, are no longer contagious, and have recovered fully following treatment,” GWU officials said in a statement. Hand sanitizer and information was distributed across the GWU campus in an effort to halt the spread of H1N1 influenza.

No cases of H1N1 influenza have been suspected at Georgetown University.

“Campus operations continue as normal, with upcoming events including commencement scheduled to take place as planned. The university will continue the proactive steps we’ve put in place to limit exposure to this virus and the emergency response team will continue to monitor the situation, remaining flexible to take any additional steps that may be appropriate if the situation on campus changes,” states the university’s emergency preparedness Web site.

“Essentially we’re planning to have hand sanitizer and hand-washing facilities at all large ceremony sites. The [quarantine] housing will resume regular use with the next group of students planned to arrive,” university spokesperson Julie Bataille said in an e-mail.

According to the CDC, H1N1 flu has been reported in 47 states with 4,298 confirmed or probable cases nationwide. In the United States three deaths have been linked to the virus. A majority of the victims of swine flu are young, with nearly two-thirds under the age of 18. According to the World Health Organization, H1N1 influenza is confirmed in 33 countries with 6,497 total infections reported.