Sims and Vaughn Shine Opposite Monroe

NEW ORLEANS – Georgetown’s season opener against Tulane was hyped as [the homecoming of Greg Monroe](https://blogs.thehoya.com/paranoia/greg-monroe-looks-forward-to-some-home-cooking/), and the sophomore center more than lived up to his star billing. Yet it was the Hoyas other two post players – [second-year forwards Julian Vaughn and Henry Sims](https://www.thehoya.com/sports/georgetown-looks-sims-vaughn-fix-glass-problem/) – that showed the biggest improvement in their new roles.

In a 74-58 win, the duo combined to play 41 minutes of the game, shooting 5-of-8 from the field for 14 points and nine rebounds. Together, they were the perfect complement to Monroe’s 18-point, 11-board double-double.

“What you saw tonight and more is what we’re going to get from here,” Head Coach John Thompson III said of all of his second-year players after the game. “There’s a big difference from your first year to your second year.”

Vaughn, a junior transfer, made his first career start for the Hoyas, joining sophomore guard Jason Clark in the new starting lineup.

Starting hot, Vaughn hit 3-of-5 shots in the first half, including a three-pointer, as the 6-foot-9, 247-pounder showed off his range. He was active on both ends of the floor, presenting a wide target in the post on offense and keeping good position on defense. Vaughn also grabbed five boards and rejected two shots in the half.

As he becomes more of a factor in the offense, Vaughn is aware of how important it is for his team to play together. He noted the Hoyas’ ability to withstand a Green Wave run that cut the halftime lead to just five points.

“Coming down here in a hostile environment for your first game, I like how the team stuck together,” Vaughn said. “And at halftime to come out the way that we did showed a lot of character and how much, as a team, we have evolved from last year. We’ve got to keep progressing though.”

Vaughn was quiet in the second half, but he did display his passing ability. At the 16-minute mark in the second, the forward caught a pass at the free throw line with his back to the basket and fired a pass over his right shoulder to a cutting Chris Wright for a quick layup. Vaughn finished with two assists to one turnover.

As Vaughn began to cool down in the second, Sims began to assert himself. The 6-foot-11 sophomore showed a much-improved offensive game. He was a presence in the paint, posting up and moving around the lane, as opposed to his freshman year when he had a tendency to float around the three-point arc. He played only six minutes in the first half, but in the second he connected on his two field goals attempts and 3-of-6 free throws, while grabbing four rebounds.

For two players who averaged less than 10 minutes and two points a game a year ago, the consistent presence in the post opposite of Monroe is a promising sign for the Hoyas with the season still in its infancy.

“I thought that both Julian and Greg, and Henry, did a terrific job of being a presence,” Thompson said.

Tulane Head Coach Dave Dickerson attributed much of Georgetown’s success to their size and athleticism in the interior.

“They’re big men. They’re tall men. They’re long men, and [Georgetown has] a lot of them,” Dickerson said of Monroe, Sims and Vaughn. “With the number of people over 6-foot-8, 6-foot-9 on their team that were productive – as far as rebounds, blocked shots and getting easy buckets – it’s impressive.”

Vaughn and Sims no doubt benefited from the Green Wave’s lack of size. Tulane’s tallest starter, Asim McQueen, stood just 6-foot-7, and there was no height off the bench. At times, the Hoyas relied on their length and athleticism rather than positioning and muscle to grab rebounds. It worked against the Green Wave, as the Hoyas won the rebounding battle by 11 boards, but it will not fly against taller and stronger opponents in the Big East.

As Georgetown continues to prepare for Big East play, the progression of the Vaughn-Sims combo opposite of Monroe will be critical. So far, the two are off to a good start. “