Smrcka-Duffy, GU Stop Tulane

The Georgetown women’s basketball team overcame a disappointing loss to the George Mason Patriots earlier in the week as they defeated Tulane, 69-64 Saturday night at McDonough Gymnasium. Senior guard Katie Smrcka-Duffy hit several key shots down the stretch and led the Hoyas with 27 points.

“It’s a great comeback after the loss, but our team can still play better,” Head Coach Pat Knapp said.

After a jumper from senior forward Nathalie Boudereau gave the Hoyas a 2-0 lead to start the game, they never looked back. The Green Wave tied the game twice but never took the lead back from the Hoyas. Smrcka-Duffy hit three three-pointers in the first half to lead all scorers at halftime with 14. Junior guard Lesley Walker dished out six assists, as the Hoyas went into the half with a 29-19 lead.

In the first half, Georgetown contained Tulane’s big frontcourt, led by 6-foot-5center Janell Burse, Conference USA’s reigning Defensive Player of the Year. Georgetown freshman forward Rebekkah Brunson and junior forward Zsuzanna Horvath helped limit Burse to just six points and forced three turnovers. Six-foot-10 sophomore center Suzy Bendegue made her home debut late in the first half, primarily to help guard the Green Wave frontcourt. Bendegue, who played in both games at the Moran Realty Classic, finished the game with three points.

Georgetown let its lead slip early in the second half, allowing Tulane to pull back within two points, 33-31. However, the Hoyas built the lead back to a 10 point margin, taking advantage of Green Wave turnovers to go on an 8-0 streak. Sophomore guard Shawntese Charles had two breakaway layups during the run. Georgetown extended its lead to as much as 12 on two occasions, but Burse exploded for 26 second-half points to keep Tulane in the game. The Green Wave constantly fed the ball inside to Burse, who found her niche within the Hoyas’ interior defense. Both Brunson and Horvath fouled out late in the second half trying to guard her.

“We didn’t adjust, and we didn’t guard [Burse] well at all,” Knapp said. “We have to recognize better, to see who’s hot and who’s not.”

Despite Burse’s game-high 32 points and 14 boards, the Hoyas prevailed with key shots late in the game. With less than five minutes left, Brunson responded, converting on a foul shot after a layup to make the score 61-51. The late Georgetown lead compelled Tulane to use a full court press and intentionally foul. Georgetown managed to break the press, but the Hoyas’ poor foul-shooting allowed the game to tighten up down the stretch. The Hoyas’ spotty free-throw shooting in the last three minutes helped the Green Wave cut the lead to three twice. However, Smrcka-Duffy came through, hitting four consecutive free throws in the last minute to ice the game for Georgetown.

Unlike the George Mason game, Georgetown rebounded better and played better perimeter defense.

“Our guards’ defense was critical, and Becky Brunson had some big rebounds for us,” Knapp said.

Brunson chipped in 13 points and eight rebounds, while Walker finished with 10 points and seven assists.

The Hoyas next face Sacred Heart on Monday Dec. 4 in Fairfield, Conn.

Related Links

Box Score vs. Tulane

Women’s Basketball Page

Women’s Basketball Schedule

Women’s Basketball Roster